[saymaListserv] A curious solicitation

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 13:37:16 JEST 2004

Dear Charles Schade,  I worked a couple of assignments sponsored by
US Quaker monthly and yearly meetings doing economic development in
Kenya in 1986-88 with Kenyan Quakers.  Most of the tribes in Kenya
are the same as the tribes in Uganda having been split into separate
countries during the time of colonialist occupation.  There has been
a significant amount of evangelization by FUM Friends in Kenya (about
250,000 people there and a smaller number in Uganda call themselves
Friends). Since I returned to the US and ceased my efforts there (due
to disability) I have received two or three such solicitations each
year -- sometimes more.

Uganda is once again caught in the middle of a rebellious uprise or
confrontation in the North.  I don't know the details, but have seen
photos on the BBC International News.  Anytime there is significant
unrest the people of Uganda, Kenya, and much of the rest of Africa
revert back to violence based on long-standing tribal hatreds. That
has clearly happened again in Uganda.  Some of it makes the US news
and some of it doesn't. The last time I was there the wonderful
Quaker man who served as my cultural interpreter and guide had just
lost his sister in Uganda to poisoning.  Poisoning has been a common
form of quiet murder there for millenia.

A 12 year old boy was interviewed on the BBC International News last
night because he seemed to be alone and was obviously frightened of
the men yelling and yielding machetes and the women screaming around
him.  When asked, he responded in very good English, through his
tears, that he was alone, his parents had both been killed in the
violence, and all his relatives (who in that culture would have been
expected to take him in and care for him) had also been killed.

If you wish to find out more about the person or persons who sent you
that letter, FUM's office in Richmond, Indiana, 101Quaker Hill Drive,
Richmond 47374, phone:317-962-7573, might be your best resource.
(Bill Wagoner used to be the resource person there on East Africa but
I'm afraid I've forgotten his actual title.  He is probably retired
by now, but there must be someone who picked up his responsibilities
with East African Yearly meetings.  Whether the author of the letter
is a Quaker or not, Uganda is desperately in need of aid and
peacekeeping efforts, (as is Haiti, by the way).  Up until this
recent violence Uganda had the distinction of being further ahead in
its fight on AIDS prevention and treatment, and in its efforts at
economic development, than most of Africa. This is a serious setback.

If you do contact FUM, please let me (us) know what you find out.
Also, the Quaker UN Office (777 United Nationas Plaza, NY, NY 10017,
phone 212-682-2735) might be helpful.
   					 Best Regards,  Janet