[saymaListserv] "The Passion of Christ" and How it affects Jews

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 15:12:06 JEST 2004

Dear SAYMA Friends,

This discussion happened on the Atlanta Friends Meeting e mail list.   I
wanted you to be "in the loop" on this important discussion about
exclusivity in the Religious Society of Friends.  If you received this more
than once, it is because you belong to more than one of the lists I use.

Peace,

Free

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your insightful message.    I'm sure Jesus was a lot darker
than most people think.  So were most other Jews of that time.

While I haven't seen the movie, The Passion of Christ, (and won't) after
reading 15 reviews about it and feel that I can comment on how it seems to
received by the community at large.   How it is perceived by folks is as
important to understand as is the "truth" about the movie.  The main
concern I have about the movie is that many Jews and many Christians see
the movie as condemning ALL Jews for the death of Jesus.

We should listen to them.

If People of Color complained about a movie being racist, would there be a
big discussion among Quakers to decide if they were right or just
paranoid?  I hope not.   Maybe there would be questions asked about why the
movie is racist and then some reflection by the White people about what was
said.     Perhaps there would be some thanks for the folks who were willing
to try and bridge the gap between the disparate cultures.   That is one way
to get to a peaceable kindom.

I think that Jewish people also need to have to have a voice, especially in
a country where Christians dominate the religious landscape.  Even in a
Quaker Meeting, where most are more accepting of the Light we all
share.  Perhaps some personal history would help.

I was raised with the world telling me that I was responsible for the death
of Jesus Christ.  While growing up in Brooklyn, NY.  I was chased and
beaten by other children in my neighborhood because I was Jewish and
therefore responsible for killing Jesus.  The children actually called us
Christ killers while they were chasing us.   The "responsible" adults in
the neighborhood were shocked.   But nobody was punished.    My twin
brother and I learned to run fast.  We had to transfer our Boy Scout
membership from the local troop which met in a church, to one four miles
away which met in an synagogue.  That's because the boys who were chasing
us were from our troop!

A Pope saying a few words in Rome decades ago hasn't really changed that
world view, even today, judging by the news reports we get on the film's
release.  Even some Quakers have trouble hearing that Jews don't wish to be
blamed for the death of Christianity's Son of God (or is he God?-- I get
confused about that).

When the Friends Song book was published by FGC, a group of Jewish Friends
went to Central Committee and asked that "The Lord of the Dance" be removed
from the book   Its a wonderful upbeat hymn about the Lord dancing, but
that song also says that Jews killed Jesus.   We tried to explain how we
have been treated thru the years because of this idea.  Of course a
"committee" was formed.

Friends General Conference decided to keep the Lord of the Dance in the
Songbook but WITH A FOOTNOTE to explain our concerns.  I ask, who reads
footnotes in the back of the book, while singing a hymn?  Not I.   Do
you?   What is going on here, Friends?

Is there room for religious diversity as well as skin color diversity in
our Society?  Does the Light only speak to a select few or is there that of
God in every person?

Shalom,

Free

PS:     Rabbi Micheal Lerner has an article at:
http://www.tikkun.org/index.cfm/action/current/article/220.html

PSS:    The new issue of Tikkun Magazine (March/April 2004) has some good
articles on the movie.  I recommend "Loosely Based on a True Story: The
Passion of Jesus Christ in Verbal and Visual Medial".  by John Dominic
Crossan, professor emeritus of Religious Studies at DePaul University who
also wrote "Who Killed Jesus? Exposing the Roots of Anti-Semitism in the
Gospel Story of the Death of Jesus (Harper SanFrancisco, 1995)

At 11:24 AM 2/27/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>   The television airwaves have been filled for the last several days with
> a lot of back-and-forth about Mel Gibson's new film, 'The Passion of The
> Christ.'  A great deal of debate centers around whether Gibson has
> fashioned a broadside against Jewish people in the manner of the Medieval
> anti-Semitic passion plays of old. There are plenty of rabbis arguing
> with Christian ministers on just about any channel you might choose to
> watch, so I'm going to leave that question to them for the time being.
>      My question is much simpler: Why would Mel Gibson make a movie about
> people in the ancient Middle East and cast it with so many white people?
> To look at the central actors in this film, you'd think Jesus did his
> work near Manchester, New Hampshire instead of the Holy Land. The answer
> to that question lies within the United States, the prime market for this
> film. There are millions of Christians in America, some 25% of whom would
> characterize themselves as evangelical. It stands to reason that this
> film would do very well here, especially given the controversy that has
> surrounded the content.
>
>      The whiteness of the cast, however, speaks to a decidedly
> un-Christian truth that lies near the heart of this republic.  Simply
> put, nailing a white Jesus Christ to the cross on film will generate a
> far more emotional response from the American viewing public than the
> crucifixion of a savior who actually looks like he is from the Middle East.
>
>      First, let's dispense with the idea that the white people who were
> cast to play the most emotive characters - Jesus, Judas, and Mary
> Magdalene - have anything to do with historical accuracy.  In truth, the
> region where Jesus was born was, and remains, populated by brown-skinned
> people.  The fact of Christ's non-whiteness is borne out in the
> historical record, and in biblical scripture.  Right off the bat, the
> Book of Matthew describes Mary and Joseph fleeing to Egypt to escape the
> wrath of Herod.  Egypt is in Africa, and is populated by brown-skinned
> people.  For my money, this would be the last place on earth I would go
> to hide a white baby from an angry King.
>
>      The earliest renditions of Jesus, painted by the first Christians
> called Essenes in the catacombs of Rome, depict a person with brown
> skin.  During the time of Roman Emperor Justinian II, a gold coin
> featuring an image of Jesus was minted. This coin, which today can be
> seen in the British Museum, depicts a man with demonstrably non-white
> features and tightly curled hair.   Finally, there is the Book of
> Revelations, which bears out the crafting of the Essenes and the Roman
> coin-makers by describing Jesus as having hair like wool, feet the color
> of burnt brass, and who resembled jasper and sardine stones.  Jasper and
> sardine stones are both brown, as is burnt brass.
>
>      The Jesus most familiar to Americans, the Jesus featured in Gibson's
> [...]

Free

"The greatest ally of injustice is silence"