[saymaListserv] FW: Life-changing book in stores now

Red & Deanna reddeanna at charter.net
Fri Jan 2 15:19:25 JEST 2004

Dear Friends,

Here are exerpts from two reviews of Kaethe Weingarten's book, Common Shock.

Library Journal is a journal which publishes book reviews for use of libraries making book selections.
Publishers Weekly is a magazine that publishes reviews for the book trade.

I hope this is helpful.

Deanna Nipp

Library Journal, Sept 1, 2003 v128 i14 p192(1)
(Book Review)
COPYRIGHT 2003 Reed Business Information
Weingarten, Kaethe. Common Shock: Witnessing Violence Every Day; How We Are Harmed, How We Can Heal. Dutton. Sept. 2003. c.384p. bibliog. index. 0-525-94742-6. $24,95.

Common Shock, meanwhile, is a more analytical treatment of a variety of ubiquitous violations that seem to be part of the modern human condition. Drawing on research findings, as well as professional experience in the fields of clinical psychology and family therapy, Weingarten (psychiatry, Harvard) develops the concept of "compassionate witnessing" as a key to transcending human suffering, if not curing or solving it. Four common sources of exposure to violence and violation are described, including illness and death, professionals' constant contact with personal tragedy, and extraordinary political violence akin to 9/11 or genocidal acts. She outlines physical and psychological responses to such experiences and suggests processes whereby their consequences are transmitted intergenerationally. Practical self-help techniques for personal and societal healing are provided. This intense and wide-ranging book--with its unique focus on witnesses rather than participants, rich case histories, strong international perspective, and extensive bibliography--would make a valuable addition to social science and professional counseling collections in public libraries. [Common Shock previewed in Prepub Alert, LJ 5/1/03.]--Antoinette M. Brinkman, M.L.S., Evansville, IL.

Publishers Weekly, July 7, 2003 v250 i27 p65(1)
  Common Shock: Witnessing Violence Every Day: How We are Harmed, How We Can Heal. (Nonfiction). (Book Review)
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2003 Reed Business Information

KAETHE WEINGARTEN. Dutton, $24.95 (384p) ISBN 0-525-94742-6

Weingarten defines "common shock" as the biological and physiological feeling that "is triggered by our being witness to an event or an interaction that we appraise as disturbing," which can range from watching a parent hit a child to watching a television news report about a terrorist bombing. She argues that this kind of common shock is an experience that can have "chronic debilitating effects," but that "few people know how to deal with it themselves or, crucially, help children do so." Drawing upon recent research as well as her work as part of the Witnessing Project (which helps individuals, families and communities deal with violence), Weingarten details typical interpersonal consequences of common shock, such as being driven into silence and losing trust in people. Her primary solution to common shock is encouraging people to act "as compassionate witnesses to others," as a way of helping others regain a "sense of safety" and community, and she states that research suggests that "small compassionate ac tions performed routinely could have a major impact." Weingarten may overexplain what seems to be a fairly straightforward idea, but she provides a beneficial service by responding to what is clearly a current social problem; the two appendices provide direct and useful recommendations for how to help others deal with the shock triggered by disturbing everyday events. (Sept.)