[saymaListserv] FW: Life-changing book in stores now

Red & Deanna reddeanna at charter.net
Fri Jan 2 15:27:38 JEST 2004

Dear Friends,

    I found a third review of Weingarten's Common Shock.  It's below.

Peace,

Deanna Nipp
O, The Oprah Magazine, Sept 2003 v4 i9 p200(1)
  Common shock: with violence the background noise of our lives, a trauma expert's groundbreaking book offers a prescription for anxiety: compassion. Pam Houston.
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2003  Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved

IN HER NEW BOOK, COMMON SHOCK, Harvard Medical School-based trauma expert Kaethe Weingarten asks the questions we have been unable to avoid. How do we cope with the acts of violence and violation we are asked to bear witness to each day? How do we keep from living in a state of constant anxiety, from going numb or replicating the violence to which we have been subjected? How can we transform inadvertent passive witnessing into compassionate, active witnessing that can help to heal ourselves and others? In a society rampant with binary thinking--good versus evil, us versus them--how do we move toward understanding and forgiveness of those who are different? How do we hold on to hope and let go of fear?

The writing of Common Shock was one act of compassionate witnessing; to read it is another. It is full of stories from every corner of the earth: Kosovo, South Africa, Kenya, France, Palestine, Lower Manhattan; from every walk of life: teachers, doctors, clergymen, tribal leaders, and clerks; from 3-year-olds and 84-year-olds; from abused and abusive parents; from communists and capitalists; from Hamlet and the Oresteia; from Toni Morrison and Adrienne Rich.

There is the 12-year-old girl named Abby who decided to fast for Ramadan so that she might better empathize with Muslims every time a hunger pang ripped through her belly, and the Masai warriors who gave their most precious gift--14 head of cattle--to the people of America so that they might heal from the 9/11 terrorist attacks. There is the Tibetan monk who after being imprisoned by the Chinese for 18 years was asked what he experienced as the biggest threat while he was in prison and answered, "losing ... compassion for the Chinese," and Cynthia Ngewu, mother of a young man who was set up, framed, and murdered by the South African government, who said, at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission hearings, "This thing called reconciliation ... if it means the perpetrator, this man who has killed [my son], if it means he becomes human again, this man, so that I, so that all of us get our humanity back ... then I agree, then I support it all."

Common Shock is a map through a difficult present into a restorative future. Chapter 1 warns that reading the book may cause the reader pain, and it does. But the pain is spent on the way to catharsis, self-forgiveness, determination, and, above all else, hope.