[saymaListserv] Fwd: Re Quaker Outreach Forum: Any experience in starting new worship groups???

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Mon Jul 26 13:29:33 JEST 2004

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:01:01 -0400
To: Quaker_Outreach_Forum at yahoogroups.com
From: free polazzo <freepolazzo at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: QOF RE: any experience in starting new worship groups???
   [TANGENT]

Hello Johan Maurer,

The services you suggest we "find" or "invent" are already happening
here in the SE USA.  Atlanta Friends Meeting (Unprogrammed) has had
people bring musical instruments and play, when moved, and people
singing with others moved to join in, gathered meetings and so on for
at least the last twenty years.

We do bible study when people in the Meeting are led to lead it and
others show up.
We do Meetings for Healing when someone is led to do that.
We start worship groups when we people from AFM move to the suburbs
and realize that there is that of God in every suburbanite,  too.
We have "weighty" friends come for weekend workshops at our "Gathered
Meeting" Retreats.
We help new attenders go to Yearly Meeting and FGC Gathering to soak
them in the community we call Friends.  (Sort of a Baptism in the
Light and Darkness of Friends.)
We have Wider Quaker Organizatons representing the MM in the Service
aspects of Friends' Testimonies on Equality, Simplicity, Community
and Integrity.
We have a Yearly Meeting Faith and Practice that cares as much about
WG's as they do Monthly Meetings and Preparative Meetings.
We have a strong YM Teen program to bring in and keep youth and
Youth's parents.

This weight has finally gotten to the place where WG's are being
formed in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area.  (3 for now) This strong
base helps our worship groups to grow in the "shelter" of the larger
and more experienced MM.    They have members that can help neophytes
over the "humps".

I will be bringing a model for strengthening our YM's MMs so that
they can support WG's that are sorely needed in our part of the
country.

To me, the KEY to Quakerism growing amongst us, is to build strong
Monthly Meetings which will then be able to shepherd WG's in their
"back yards".

If some worship group wants to start in the Boonies (and we do have
alot of area between MMs), then I will be proposing the our YM's
Ministry and Worship Committee establish an Outreach Committee that
will consist of the WG's in the YM and those from MM's that are
"sponsoring" WG's and/or Preperative Meetings.

Great that the QOF is dealing with the topic, at last.

Free