[saymaListserv] Re: book you recommended

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 13:03:27 JEST 2004

Hi Susan, You ask some very good questions.  I wrote my
recommendation of that book before I had even gotten half way into
it, but am even more enthusiastic about the book now than when I sent
out that message to Atlanta Meeting and SAYMA Friends awhile back. It
isn't easy to make economic history interesting, accessible and even
(dare I say it) engrossing. ( For those of you who didn't see my
recommendation the first time round it was:  THE BIRTH OF PLENTY, by
William  J. Bernstein, published this year by McGraw-Hill.  It can be
ordered from www. amazon.com for about twenty dollars new or fifteen
dollars used or ask your local librarian to order it and put yourself
first on the list to read it when it comes in.  It is a very readable
book about economic history from its beginnings to the present, but
focusing most on the last two-hundred years.)

The estimate at this point from economists studying offshoring is
that each job that is offshored creates at least two jobs in the US
jobs tend to be higher paying with better benefits than the ones that
went abroad. Those new jobs in the US cover the whole range of
employment from low-level office staff to supervisors, to techs and
managers in order to address the need for greater output from the
company.

The source of new jobs in the world is and always has been closely
related to the level of innovation.  The US and has been ahead in the
area of innovation (new and better ideas) for nearly a century. Our
future employment prospects depend not on restricting the process of
offshoring jobs, but on the level of innovation we can maintain.

Workers displaced by offshoring need good, effective job retraining
to prepare them for the higher level jobs that are and will be
available in the future.  This process of job retraining starts with
the public school systems around the country.  If we improve the
schools (as India has done using the British model) more of our high
school graduates will be prepared for the new technologies and
services which are being developed.

I think Bernstein addresses GDP further along, but it really is not
as important as understanding the process described above.  Best
Regards, Janet