[saymaListserv] Re: Outsourcing

Tim Lally timlally at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 02:50:33 JEST 2004

This excerpt from "Meeting the Spirit - An Introduction to Quaker Beliefs
and Practices" may have some bearing on the current discussion:
"Simplicity
"There is certainty among Friends that the world offers many distractions
from the Truth, for example the pursuit of wealth or power or pleasure,
extravagance in language, fashion or behaviour, and too great an emphasis on
business, even for good causes. Truth is usually discovered in quiet,
undistracted waiting for its leadings in the human heart, in the humble
simplicity of spirit which acknowledges that ultimately God is in charge of
our world, not we ourselves.

"The testimony of simplicity seeks, therefore, to focus our attention on
what is essential and eternal, without distraction by the transitory or the
trivial. Plain and honest speech is an expression of simplicity. Respect for
God's creation and, therefore, concern for the environment and the right use
of the world's resources is another obvious expression of this testimony. A
growth economy based on extravagance, wastefulness and artificially
stimulated wants is seen to be a fundamental violation of the testimony of
simplicity."

For the text of the complete document, click here:
http://emes.quaker.eu.org/meeting-the-spirit.html .

God's Peace,

Tim Lally, attending Chattanooga Meeting