[saymaListserv] The Equality Testimony as a better way to end terrorism

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 08:42:16 JEST 2004

Dear Friends,

Barbara Ehrenreich describes, in an editorial column in today's NY
Times,  how to fight terrorism without using the military.   Bring equal
rights to women in countries that deny them to follow the Light as they see
fit.

A great idea who's time is way past due!

Will the Patriarchy listen?   Isn't our Testimony on Equality one of the
key paths to peace?

If you agree, let's encourage both political parties to walk their talk
(Testimony on Integrity) and come out for true equal rights for women,
everywhere!

Blessings,

Free

The New Macho: Feminism

July 29, 2004 By BARBARA EHRENREICH

The Dems couldn't be more butch if they took to wearing codpieces. Every
daily convention theme contains the words "strength" or "strong," and even
Hillary has been relegated to the role of wife. The idea, according to the
pundits, is that with more than half of the voters still favoring Bush as
the guy to beat bin Laden, Kerry needs to show that he's macho enough to
whup the terrorists. Of course, everyone knows that the macho approach is
notably less effective than pixie dust - otherwise, we wouldn't be holding
our political conventions under total lockdowns.

Well, I've been reading bin Ladin - Carmen, that is, not her brother-in-law
Osama (she spells the last name with an "i") - and I'd like to present a
brand-new approach to terrorism, one that turns out to be a lot more
consistent with traditional Democratic values. First, let's stop calling
the enemy "terrorism," which is like saying we're fighting "bombings."
Terrorism is only a method; the enemy is an extremist Islamic insurgency
whose appeal lies in its claim to represent the Muslim masses against a
bullying superpower.

But as Carmen bin Ladin urgently reminds us in "Inside the Kingdom," one
glaring moral flaw in this insurgency, quite apart from its methods, is
that it aims to push one-half of those masses down to a status only
slightly above that of domestic animals. While Osama was getting pumped up
for jihad, Carmen was getting up her nerve to walk across the street in a
residential neighborhood in Jeddah - fully veiled but unescorted by a male,
something that is illegal for a woman in Saudi Arabia. Eventually she left
the kingdom and got a divorce because she didn't want her daughters to grow
up in a place where women are kept "locked in and breeding."

So here in one word is my new counterterrorism strategy for Kerry:
feminism. Or, if that's too incendiary, try the phrase "human rights for
women." I don't mean just a few opportunistic references to women, like
those that accompanied the war on the Taliban and were quietly dropped by
the Bush administration when that war was abandoned and Afghan women were
locked back into their burkas. I'm talking about a sustained and serious
effort.

So John and John: Announce plans to pour dollars into girls' education in
places like Pakistan, where the high-end estimate for female literacy is 26
percent, and scholarships for women seeking higher education in nations
that typically discourage it. (Secular education for the boys wouldn't hurt
either.) Expand the grounds for asylum to all women fleeing gender
totalitarianism, wherever it springs up. Reverse the Bush policies on
global family planning, which condemn 78,000 women yearly to death in
makeshift abortions. Lead the global battle against the traffic in women.

I'm not expecting these measures alone to incite a feminist insurgency
within the Islamist one. Carmen bin Ladin found her rich Saudi
sisters-in-law sunk in bovine passivity, and some of the more spirited
young women in the Muslim world have been adopting the head scarf as a
gesture of defiance toward American imperialism. We're going to need a
thorough foreign policy makeover - from Afghanistan to Israel - before we
have the credibility to stand up for anyone's human rights. You can't play
the gender card with dirty hands.

If Kerry were to embrace a feminist strategy against the insurgency, he'd
have to start by addressing our own dismal record on women's rights. He'd
be pushing for the immediate ratification of the U.N. Convention on the
Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, which has been
ratified by 169 countries but remains stalled in the Senate. He'd be
threatening to break off relations with Saudi Arabia until it acknowledges
the humanity of women. And he'd be thundering about the shortage of women
in the U.S. Senate and the House, an internationally embarrassing 14
percent. We should be aiming for at least 25 percent representation, the
same target the Transitional Administrative Law of Iraq has set for the
federal assembly there.

In my dreams, you say, and you're probably right. Maybe Kerry will surprise
me in his speech tonight, but it looks as if the Democrats are too
frightened of being labeled "girlie men" by the party of Schwarzenegger to
do what has to be done. If you want to beat Osama, you've got to start by
listening to Carmen.

Thomas L. Friedman is on leave until October, writing a book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/29/opinion/29ehre.html?ex=1092189495&ei=1&en=610a57a9f4bfc3d2

For general information about NYTimes.com, write to help at nytimes.com.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company