[saymaListserv] Response to Kristi

Nancy Whitt nmwhitt at samford.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:04:09 JEST 2004

Without attaching Kristi's name, I sent her letter to colleagues,
friends & relatives.  This is a response from a colleague, an Episcopal
biology teacher, who fills a need at Samford by teaching human sexuality
in her biology classes.  Students learn from her & love her.  N.

Nancy,

It is definitely time to speak out. Christianity is a living force that
challenges social stratification. When Christianity is vibrant,  we
Christian live our relationship to the divine in each other (all
others). At its worst, Christianity is a triumphalistic socio-political
construct that reinforces the status quo.  We need to be proactive at
reclaiming it. The Christ who freely consorted with prostitutes, and who
sees the deepest sins of my soul, yet forgives, who encouraged people to
aid the "other" would not ask us to reject our sisters and brothers who
are homosexual.  Galations 3:28 says it all : "There is no longer Jew or
Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and
female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

My bet,  He would have been turning water into wine and dancing at the
wedding your friend so deeply desires.

This letter from Common Dreams says it all far better than I can:

Published on Monday, October 25, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
No Longer a Christian

Betsy

Betsy Dobbins
Assistant Professor