[saymaListserv] gay marriage: Bush's trump card

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Thu Nov 4 15:15:54 JEST 2004

Dear Friends,

I understand how easy it is for the many citizens who are
disappointed with the outcome of the elections to momentarily
forget that we are all citizens of the same country, whichever lever
we pulled in the voting booth. Or wherever we touched the screen,
as the case may be.

Once the dust settles, we citizens may return to our primary task of
good stewardship of our Ship of State, care and concern for the
welfare of our neighbors from community to global, and we Friends
may return to our calling to cheerfully walk upon the Earth,
answering to that of G*d in every one.

I think we will find that last particularly daunting if we regard our
fellow citizens as collectively ignorant, and view their deeply-held
spirituality as "Christian Taliban". I doubt we can be helpful to them
unless we are more open to connect on both a spiritual and an
intellectual level.

It's important to remember that even among us Liberal Friends,
there is not universal acceptance of "gay marriage". Some Friends,
including some I know personally and do not consider to be
ignorant, find that they are unable to unite with the term "marriage"
being applied to couples of the same gender.

How long has it been since we Quakers have been united in our
acceptance of homosexuality as natural and Divinely sanctified?
Was this a revelation given to George Fox? or did it take us
hundreds of years to get to this point? Do we dismiss our
forebearers as ignorant because the way had not yet opened for
them to be so enlightened?

I wonder how many of us would unite in refraining from marriage of
heterosexual couples because we oppose discrimination against
homosexual couples. Which of us who are already enjoying the
rights and privileges of legal matrimony would willingly give up
those rights until such time as they are afforded to all couples?

Steve