[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 172 Rep Meeting, all welcome!

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Sat Nov 6 14:54:12 JEST 2004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 172
All welcome...
... at SAYMA's Rep Meetings
Next one: Dec 4th at Chattanooga FM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please share with your meeting --

<|>  Winter Representative Meeting will be held Saturday, Dec 4th, at 10:00 am Eastern time, hosted by Chattanooga (TN) Friends Meeting.

<|>  Please note:  due to the registrar's Thanksgiving plans, registrations will need to be in her hands by Nov 18.  Registration will be available by e-mail, phone, mail, and possibly through a web form.  Details will be in registration packets mailed and posted on the website.

<|>  Any f/Friend may attend and participate; those gathered represent the Yearly Meeting.  (Attending without "official" duties can be a delightful chance for fellowship and taking part in Quaker process.)

<|>  "Representative Meeting carries out the ongoing work of the yearly meeting and acts in the name of the yearly meeting between sessions."  (A Guide to Our Faith and Our Practice)

<|>  Each meeting and worship group is encouraged to send a Representative.  These f/Friends are important channels of two-way communication between SAYMA and local meetings.

<|>  SAYMA "... is organized ... to provide fellowship and a central coordinating group of Friends ... through which individuals and Monthly Meetings are nurtured, and whereby inspiration, spiritual revitalization, mutual irradiation, exchange of ideas, comparison of problems, and coordination of spiritual/religious efforts may be accomplished."  (from "...Articles of SAYMA," an "approved operating description for ... legal and other purposes.")

<|>  Presently, SAYMA is comprised of 30 meetings and worship groups, and one preparative meeting (ranging in size from under a dozen to over 300 members and attenders).

<|>  "Our name ... in traditional Quaker language indicates that we meet annually to conduct our business.  The yearly meeting, however, is a cooperative association and exercises no authority, other than moral and advisory, over any local meeting or individual Friend."  (Faith and Practice)

<|>  Registration packets will be mailed soon to f/Friends recorded in the SAYMA office as:
    -- Clerks/contacts for their meetings or worship groups
    -- SAYMA representatives from meetings & worship groups
    -- clerks & members of SAYMA committees
    -- SAYMA's representatives to wider Quaker organizations
    -- SAYMA clerks and treasurer
    -- SAYMA archivist & web manager, & SAF editors
    -- SAYF administrative assistant

<|>  Others wishing to register and attend may --soon -- contact a f/Friend in one of the above roles, or visit www.sayma.org.

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ postdate 110604 ~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our list-server:
semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to AdminAsst at sayma.org,
276-628-5852 (machine; in-person Tu/Th 5-7:30p), or
SAYMA Admin Asst, PO Box 2191, Abingdon, VA 24212-2191.
Thank you!  ^o^