[saymaListserv] gay marriage: Bush's trump card

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 13:56:42 JEST 2004

Hi Stuart, Sorry I'm late on this -- I'm just catching up with a
backlog of messages.  I agree in hindsight as well.  I would never
have asked anyone who was gay to hold off on pushing for marriage or
civil union, but its clear that the issue and the referenda on
constitutional amendments did, indeed, bring out the extreme
Christian right in numbers not seen before.

Free Polazzo and I were "joined" in a ceremony under the care of
Atlanta Friends Meeting March 21, 1987.  We chose not to involve the
state in our union for many reasons, but one was that gay people
could not choose marriage as an option.  We were the first to choose
to be "joined" rather than married by the meeting.  Others have
chosen that option since.  I was Clerk of Atlanta Meeting when the
first gay marriage or "joining" was performed in the gym of Horizons
School, under the meeting's care, while we were in process of
building our present meetinghouse. Atlanta Meeting continues to
provide marriage or "joining" for anyone who requests such
recognition and is willing to follow the meeting's guidelines
(traditional practices of ascertaining clearness and presenting the
request to the meeting as a whole at a regularly scheduled Meeting
for Worship for Business, among others).  Janet Minshall