[saymaListserv] Note that the "sweat lodge" is actually the "Quaker Sweat Lodge Experience"

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sun Oct 3 20:49:42 JEST 2004

Free, thank you for your offerings regarding this issue. It makes for
very illuminating reading.

I don't think it's appropriate to say on the list but wouldn't you like to
have been a fly on the wall during the two days of laboring over the
decision to pull the workshop! The question in my mind right now is
raised in your post, when you point out that the decision to pull was
made entirely by Friends who had never experienced the workshop.

How did it happen that out of the more than a thousand Friends who
had had the experience, not ONE was present for this meeting???

We Quakers like to think that we encourage diversity, and I would
think that includes hearing diverse opinions from differing points of
view. Did it happen that the Quaker Sweat Lodge Experience
became the Native American Sweat Lodge Ripoff because some
voices were not heard? Was this addressed at the Meeting for
Listening?

Perry, I appreciate as well your taking the time to explain a few
things from the point of view of the Planning Committee. I am so
ignorant as to not even have known of the existence of the
committee, so am learning as I go along, possibly at others'
expense. I invite your comments on the above questions as well,
since you were in the apparently unusual position of having been on
the wall when this fly was elsewhere.

Steve