[saymaListserv] [earthcare] Fw: Earth Policy News - Path to Oil Independence, relevant to Friends widely expressed social and spiritual concerns

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 12:19:19 JEST 2004

Dear Friends, I thought many of you might be
interested in these messages.  Any discussion
would be most welcome.  Janet Minshall

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:07:50 -0400
To: earthcare at yahoogroups.com
From: Janet  Minshall <jhminshall at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [earthcare] Fw: Earth Policy News - Path to Oil Independence
Cc: <alconn at provide.net>,<epi at earth-policy.org>
Bcc:
Dear Allan Connor and Earthcare Friends,  Thanks
so much for forwarding the message (below) from
Lester Brown on oil independence.  I also read
his article, an edited text of his FGC plenary
talk, in the recent environmental issue of
Friends Journal. I am most gratified that a
leader in the environmental movement is
publishing widely a speech and articles
suggesting the further development and use of
hybrid gas/electric engines in vehicles and wind
energy in general to meet the energy needs of the
world and thus make cleaner the atmosphere of the
Earth.

One other issue about which I am exceedingly
concerned is the availability of clean water
around the world.  It is one which can be solved,
I believe, with either wind or solar power used
to desalinate the ocean water.  Doing so would
not in any way harm the environment and could be
tied into water systems already in place.  It
would require a significant expenditure on
connections from ocean desalination sites to city
and town water supplies around the world. Even
so, it would be considerably less expensive over
time than water supplied by the major interests
which have been buying up global water rights
since the 1970s.

Is there work in progress in this area?  Is
anyone making the effort to design and build such
wind or solar-powered desalination equipment?
Have such efforts been supported by significant
funding?  A response from anyone who is
knowledgeable on this matter would be most
appreciated.
			  Janet Minshall