[saymaListserv] A look at how hard it is to believe the truth about something we were wrong about

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Fri Oct 22 17:46:26 JEST 2004

Dear Free and other Friends,

I saw the original report this morning. It is very troubling, especially
when viewed in the context of the very lengthy and mercilessly
revealing study of our Commander in Chief which appeared in the
New York Times weekly magazine.The article, entitled "No Doubt"
and written by Ron Susskind, can be viewed on the web at

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html?page
wanted=1

A glimpse into how many of our fellow citizens are enticed into
accepting what they are offered by the White House, from
Susskind's "No Doubt":

==============

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that
the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications
director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to
Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he
told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but
which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-
based community," which he defined as people who "believe that
solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I
nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles
and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really
works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we
act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality
-- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new
realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out.
We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just
study what we do."

==============

I hope that once this election is over, we Friends will find the time
and energy to deeply listen to our fellow citizens who choose this
Imperial Reality over the Empirical one, so that we may fully
understand why they make this choice. No matter who wins, our
national psyche has been critically wounded, and recovery seems
unlikely unless we are able to understand the injury.

Steve
--
Steve Livingston
nc_stereoman at charter.net