[saymaListserv] How to handle some of the problems caused by Population Decline

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 11:49:48 JEST 2004

At 04:04 AM 9/8/2004, you, wrote:
>  As the population ages and declines there are fewer and fewer
>workers to pay taxes and fund our social and health programs, our
>support systems for the poor, the elderly, the sick and the disabled,
>and fewer resources available to fund education of any kind.
>Everything that depends on tax dollars begins to fall apart. What do
>we do?  40 to 75 years really isn't a very long time to come up with
>an answer.
>
>                                 Janet Minshall

Here are some possible solutions to the declining population issue.   I
post them here to share them with the SAYMA community.

My hopes/guesses about the future:

1.   Productivity per person will increase as computers and processes we
use to make and deliver "stuff"  (not a technical term is it?) improves.

2.   With fewer people with more resources being produced per person, there
will be less conflict between individuals and between "tribes".  (this
includes nations and other, older human organizations".

3.      The percentage of resources that go to the military will decline
because of item 2.

4.   Creativity will be seen as the "wealth of nations" by more and more
economic units (Smaller Businesses, Co-ops, large corporations,
whatever).   Attracting corporations will be less important than attracting
creative people.   see

5    Creative people want to live in cities with other creative
people.  This link will allow you to see you your city/region ranks in
creativity in the USA.

6.   The creative "Creative Class" wants to live in places that offer
"Three T's:  Technology, Talent and Tolerence".    (From the book:  "The
Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure,
Community and Everyday Life"  Richard Florida ;Paperback; $11.17
at:  www.amazon.com

7.   To attract and retain the "Creative Class", who are not producing more
and more of the wealth,
Governmental units (cities, towns, states, countries) will compete for them
to live and work in their communities.  (See how your city ranks in
"Creativity"

                 http://www.creativeclass.org/rankings.shtml

8.    Processes will be changed to preserve the plant's natural bio sphere
as item 4 continues to increase in importance.

The following quote is taken from:   http://www.creativeclass.org/book.shtml

     The Rise of the Creative Class gives us a provocative new way to think
about why we live as we do today  and where we might be headed. In a book
that weaves a storytelling with a massive body of research, Richard Florida
traces the fundamental theme that runs through a host of seemingly
unrelated changes in American society: the growing role of creativity in
our economy.
      Just as William Whyte's 1956 classic The Organization Man showed how
the organizational ethos of that age permeated every aspect of life,
Florida describes a society in which the creative ethos is increasingly
dominant. Millions of us are beginning to work and live much as creative
types like artists and scientists always have - with the result that our
values and tastes, our personal relationships, our choices of where to
live, and even our sense and use of time are changing. Leading the shift
are the nearly 38 million Americans in many diverse fields who create for a
living  the Creative Class.
      The Rise of the Creative Class chronicles the ongoing sea of change
in people's choices and attitudes, and shows not only what's happening but
also how it stems from a fundamental economic change. The Creative Class
now comprises more than thirty percent of the entire workforce. The choices
these people make already had a huge economic impact, and in the future
they will determine how the workplace is organized, what companies will
prosper or go bankrupt, and even which cities will thrive or wither.

This link takes you to an audio presentation by the author of "The Creative
Class" to a group located in Memphis, TN.

         http://www.colettaandcompany.com/public/smartcity/florida/splash.cfm

9.   Older people can be productive in this "creative" world.   They can
continue to provide for themselves, although probably at a lower income
level than before.

10.    Taxes can be raised to provide for the elderly.    The elderly will
be a large voting block and will be able to redistribute the wealth using
the tax system.

I think all the upheaval we are experiencing with the shift in jobs,
professions, leisure are all exciting and necessary for the peaceable
kindom to arrive.

Most Quakers want the way our communities prioritize where our money goes
to change.   It may be happening before our very eyes.

Free