[saymaListserv] FW: Garrison Keillor on the new Republicans

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 08:14:48 JEST 2004

Dear  Friends,

>Whenever I hear the phrase "values" I think that the person is voting to
>support their religious views.      This country was founded, in part, to
>premit us to live together, in peace, and worship (or not) as we were
>led.       When I am asked to support a candidate because their "values"
>are "better" or "more American" or "Godly", then I know that we are in the
>middle of a religous war.    There are no outward weapons, but there are
>casualites, non the less.   The poor, the ill, women, people who are not
>heterosexual, foreigners who don't try to pass as Europeans,  people of
>color,  the earth, endangered species,  the elderly, the uneducated.

Please, If there are any "New Republicans" out there, please explain to me
where Garrison or I am in error.    I have voted Republican, in the past,
and am really unhappy at how that party seems to have become the party of
"Me and mine".

Free means "free to choose".    When there are only two people who have a
chance of becoming President of the US of A, it behooves both political
parties to be very careful whom they present as their candidates.       I
wish there were better choices, but the fact that there are none may say
more about "we the people" than it does about the people who are being
offered as our leaders for then next two or four or six years.

Blessings,

Free