[saymaListserv] Re: [afmdiscussion] Fwd: [earthcare] Future Population Decline: What Are Our Responsibilities As Friends?

Daryl Bergquist earthsteward at urisp.net
Fri Sep 17 23:38:45 JEST 2004

Greetings,

I would echo Steve's amazement over the concept of desalinization
peceptively lowering the level of the oceans.  First, though the
technologies exist for desalinization of sea water, they require a lot
of energy and energy is another resource we are using at increasingly
unsustainable rates.  That is another discussion with lots of
implications. Second I agree with Steve's comment about the relatively
small amount of human use in relation to the ocean and the impossibility
of lowering sea level thereby,  though I can't verify his figures.  But
further than that, we do not consume (use up) water we simply make it
polluted and salty or evaporate it and it all goes back into the water
cycle eventually back into the ocean. Desalinization of sea water would
not effect the level of the oceans other than the very tiny amount of
water in the desalinization system at a given time and in the biomas of
humans.  Upon reflection, perhaps that is what Steve was saying.

I do know that we can use fresh water way more efficiently than we do.
I lived on  1/2 gallon per day of drinking and cooking water while
sailing in the tropics. I use very much more than that now, even though
I know what is possible.

Daryl Bergquist - Royal worship Group