[saymaListserv] Re: [afmdiscussion] Fwd: [earthcare] Future Population Decline: What Are Our Responsibilities As Friends?

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 19:00:40 JEST 2004

Hi Steve and Daryl,  Sorry, I should have given the source -- it was
from an article on water issues in a popular economics journal which
I have since discarded.  I don't think that anyone, either the writer
or me, thinks that water is ever lost not to return to the
atmosphere, groundwater, oceans, etc.  The point that was made was
that using water from the oceans and the process of desalinization
would not in any way deplete water supplies and might counter the
increase in sea levels from global warming a bit.

Yes, Daryl, desalinization does use energy, and I know it exists
because the countries in North Africa use water from the
Mediterranean as their basic drinking water supply.  When I traveled
there many years ago, the countries which had suffered damage to
their desalinization equipment during WWII still had slightly salty
drinking water.  To get completely salt-free water you had to buy it
imported, which was very very unusual back then.  Also, the slightly
salty water was used to make and bottle the local versions of
Coca-Cola.  (There is nothing in the world I have tasted which is
quite as awful as a salty Coca-Cola, especially when one is thirsty!)

I think the issue of how much and what kind of energy would be used
for desalinization is an interesting one. I would think that a
solar-powered processor would be feasible now or soon and might be
something worth some serious time and effort.  Daryl?

					Janet