[saymaListserv] FW: The Congressional Evaluation Project

debra at debrasjohnson.net debra at debrasjohnson.net
Wed Sep 29 14:09:52 JEST 2004

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Kit Mason kit at hers.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:38:47 -0400
To: friends at memphisquaker.org
Subject: [MemphisFriends] The Congressional Evaluation Project

Dear Friends,

In January 2004, I started looking for information on various
congressional incumbents and on some of the senators who are up for
re-election, and realized just how little was easily available. A lot of
the official webpages are puff pieces with no links to voting records or
information on the actual substance of what the person actually *does*
to represent the people who elected him.

So I wrote The Congressional Evaluation Project,
http://www.zipbeep.org/congress/. This compares publicly available
evaluations from a wide range of organizations, from Americans for
Democratic Action to the Christian Coalition. It rates each lawmaker's
voting record on issues including civil liberties, education, health
care, abortion, the environment, firearms, neoConservatism and the
Religious Right.

There are omnibus tables with all the information available; following
those are tables that examine specific issues. I've spelled out the
assumptions I made in creating the project, the sources of the
information, and the limitations.

It's for anyone who wants to find out what elected officials have been
doing. It includes every congressman and -woman now in office, and every
senator whose term expires this year, whether the people are running
again or not. (Incumbents not seeking re-election are marked with ***
after their names; their records are kept in the project to show how
their constituents have been represented during the past few years.) In
a few cases, where people were put into office for only part of a term,
there's not much information; in some cases there's a whole lot of it.

I've spent eight months on it; please give it a few minutes. Look up
your own representatives -- you know the issues in your state and
district far better than I do. See what you find. If you think what I've
been doing is useful, please pass it along, send it to people. It's
free, it's all compiled from public information. Send it wherever you
think it might be most helpful.

And feel free to write me about it. Comments welcome.

In the Light,
Kit Mason
attender, Takoma Park Friends Meeting Preparative,
Baltimore Yearly Meeting

Please note that this is my own project and not something sponsored by
either the Yearly or Monthly meetings.