[saymaListserv] Afganistan turning into a "Huge US Jail"

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 19:22:13 JEST 2005

Hello Friends,

War is not the answer!  We know this in our  Quaker souls.   How to help
those who think that the "ends justifies the means!"?  Perhaps it's by
staying informed of the truth of the war against terror.  (and all the
other wars the US is fighting).

US Citizens are NOT being told the truth about how we are treating
prisoners we take captive.   If they knew, perhaps the mistreatment would
stop.    Remember that our Quaker ancestors languished in jails for no
reason other than they worshiped in ways that were not accepted by the
governments in power.    Let us not forget them as new prisoners are
mistreated by our government.

The article from "Truthout.org" tells what is happening in Afganistan.  Not
reported in the media, so we have to use SAYMA Kitenet to get the truth out.

An excerpt from the attached article is copied below:

"And perhaps this event above all others - of a nervous phalanx of US
marines forcing its way across a prayer ground on one of the holiest, most
joyous days in the Islamic calendar, an itching trigger away from a
Somalian-style dogfight of their own making - is the one that encapsulates
everything that has gone wrong with the global war against terror. The US
army came to Afghanistan as liberators and now are feared as governors,
judges and jailers. How many US marines know what James Madison, an
architect of the US constitution, wrote in 1788? Reflecting on the War of
Independence in which Americans were arbitrarily arrested and detained
without trial by British forces, Madison concluded that the "accumulation
of all powers, legislative, executive and judiciary, in the same hands may
justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny"

The full article can be found
at:       http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/040105C.shtml

Long but important.

Blessings,