[saymaListserv] Afganistan turning into a "Huge US Jail"

Nancy Winfrey nwinfrey at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 2 12:28:14 JEST 2005

Hello Friends,

Nancy said it would be ok to pass this message on to the SAYMA list.

Blessings,

Free

The abuses of power are not new.  Once again, there are many causes, from
inexperienced soldiers all the way to those who join the military because
it is a milieu where cruel tendencies can be indulged.  God alone knows
when our civilization will be ready to forego violence.  Until then, as a
Quaker, I feel I have two duties:

1.    Being an example - which means not using violence and speaking out
against it when encountered.

2.    Persuading others to follow that example, which only works
one-on-one.  Even Jesus wasn't successful in converting everyone, nor did
he expect to.  The parable about the sower and the seed illustrated
this.  When God wills a complete change, non-violence will become a human
attribute for all.  Until then, all I can do is pray for peace and follow
the above.

In addition, "Speaking Truth to Power" when opportunity arises, and being
an educated and concerned citizen who votes is a third duty.

Nancy Winfrey
[]