[saymaListserv] Invitation to AFSC Palestine/Israel Study Seminar in Black Mountain

ElizaKeiser at aol.com ElizaKeiser at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 14:34:59 JEST 2005

Common Light  Meetingplace
137 Center  Avenue
Black Mountain, NC 28711
April 3, 2005

Dear Friends,
This is a special invitation to Friends and attenders of your Meeting who
care deeply about peace and justice in the Middle East to  come to Black
Mountain on April 15 and 16 for a  seminar at Common Light Meetingplace, the home of
Swannanoa Valley Friends  Meeting. We will focus on current developments in
the region, as well as on the  study entitled When the Rain Returns:  Toward
Justice and Reconciliation in Palestine and Israel by the  International Working
Party of the American Friends Service Committee, published  2004. Two of the
co-authors, Tony Bing (Clerk of Swannanoa Valley Friends  Meeting) and Zoharah
Simmons (Muslim, coming from the U of FL at Gainesville  where she is a
professor of Islamic and Women’s Studies) will be joined by Sam  and Lulla Shermis
(of Black Mountain, Jewish leaders of interfaith dialogues) in  this
interfaith opportunity to think together about the issues raised by the  book and its
recommendations for action on the part of readers.  Short talks and films will
help focus us  on the most critical issues for dialogue as we reach for a
common understanding  of recent developments and how to support peacemaking
efforts here and  abroad.
This will be the fifth weekend in our first year’s programming on the  theme
SEEDS OF PEACE/SEEDS OF WAR.  Dan Snyder’s three-part series on the Spiritual
Basis of  Peacemaking (co-sponsored by Pendle  Hill) drew participants from a
variety of Meetings, and all who came, including  many from other churches,
found this strong Quaker presence valuable.  However, thus far we have only two
 representatives from the Society of Friends registered for the April 15-16
seminar, so we are waiving all fees for Friends and attenders, as well as
friends of Friends!  An onsite  donation of $25 would cover the book and two
delicious meals (dinner Friday,  lunch Saturday).   Perhaps a participant or two
from your  Meeting could be helped financially with travel expenses and the
cost of  overnight accommodations.  Hospitality by local Friends can be arranged
here for some; there are  many other options for convenient and reasonably
priced accommodations in  Black  Mountain. For more information or to  register
for the seminar, you may reach us at 828-669-3616 or _commonlightm at aol.com_
(mailto:commonlightm at aol.com)
Thank you for bringing this letter to the attention of those in your  Meeting
who might be interested in such an opportunity. We hope you will help us  put
to good use the AFSC’s most recent study of  Palestine and  Israel.  This
weekend focused on When the Rain Returns co-led by two of  its authors will
inspire and equip  participants to provide more effective support for peacemaking
efforts here and  in that region.
Beth  & Mel Keiser
Co-Directors,  Common Light Meetingplace