[saymaListserv] Fwd: Globalization and the Poor: Do Quakers have a realis...

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 09:34:59 JEST 2005

Hi Charles Schade,  Thanks for your note.  Sorry for the delay in
responding. I have been indisposed.  I understand your comments, but
cannot provide the point of discrimination between "sweatshops" and
normal conditions of employment in less developed countries.  Many of
the materials from the US and Western European labor movements have
generalized the use of the term "sweatshops" so broadly that I,
personally, have visited sites in East Africa and Eastern Europe
where there was production referred to by them as being done "in
sweatshops",  where the conditions of employment were standard for
less developed countries, not substandard.  I have written about that
extensively on this list in previous messages. My recommendation to
those who really care to find out for themselves about working
conditions in other countries is to go there and visit.  Make sure
you get together with ordinary people from the community  -- not paid
NGO or union reps/agitators.  Then ask the people themselves about
their jobs,  the conditions, the hours, the facilities, and the
policies concerning breaks, days off, bathrooms, lighting and
heating/cooling/air circulation, the wages, and the benefits.  Then
ask about comparable places of employment in the area/region. Find
out if there is a difference between the conditions of domestic
employment and the conditions of employment in multinational
production and outsourced contracts.   Those  of us who go instead on
organized union-sponsored visits must do so with the understanding
that everyone we talk with and speak to will have been "prepped" on
what to say and how/when to say it. What comes out of such visits is
propaganda, not economic analysis.

I understand fully that child labor continues but is being
dramatically reduced year after year.  Many cultures have a
millenia-old tradition of sending their children out to work when
they reach a certain age to contribute to family income. Reducing
child labor has been a focus of The World Bank and the World Trade
organization and employers face sanctions.  The pressure of world
sentiment is being felt and acted upon.  Jagdish Bhagwati writes
about it in a whole chapter in his book, in Defense of Globalization.
Please read it.

The primary issue for me is that many people who have read
union-produced materials automatically tie "slave labor" with
standard conditions of employment in both the US and in other
countries.  It is not connected. Slavery has existed all over the
world for thousands of years, and it has been a criminal activity for
hundreds of years. Criminal activity (as in "the war on drugs") is
far harder to root out than child labor because criminals control the
use of slaves for labor and prostitution, not ordinary business
people. That is the distinction that many NGOs (non-governmental
human rights organizations) fail to point out -- in some cases may
not even have noticed because of the pressure and funding from
organized labor.

Therefore, Friend, I think sweeping statements such as you quote from
me are quite appropriate.  Truth is always better then
propaganda-based prejudice and it is especially appropriate for
Friends to seriously seek the Truth.
				 Janet Minshall

Charles Schade's note sent 4-02-05: