[saymaListserv] Re: From Lynne Phillips RE: Quaker Sweat Lodge

Lynne Phillips lphillip at netidea.com
Wed Apr 20 15:38:18 JEST 2005

Dear all,
I appreciate George's message in correcting my remarks made at a meeting
for worship for business for Long Range Conference Planning committee,
March 2005.

I have purchased and read the books by Bucko and Bruchac.  I am aware that
there are aboriginal/First Nations/Native Americans who see the sweat lodge
as a spiritual gift that can be shared.

However, there are many who disagree.  I am quoting with permission an
email from Sarah Chandler who is currently clerk of Canadian Friends
Service Committee's subcommittee Quaker Aboriginal Affairs
Committee.  Jennifer Preston Howe is the CFSC staff person for the QAAC
committee.  I have included Bill's email (hoping that it's OK to forward
his words as he reflects some of the Canadian YM experience in this
area).  Bill Curry lives in Saskatchewan.  He and his wife have been
involved with First Nations peoples in many ways.

Seeking the Light,
Lynne

Lynne Phillips
Rossland, BC