[saymaListserv] Quakers in the News - week ended 4/29/2005

GlennReinhart at aol.com GlennReinhart at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 23:18:45 JEST 2005

Dear Friends,
Please see http://quakersinthenews.blogspot.com for a chronological archive,
or to comment on any news story.
Glenn

The most widely reported story of the week comes from Chicago, USA and
regards the American Friends Service Committee.

Friends might notice the ambiguity of the nature of AFSC in the eyes of the
public, as AFSC is referred to at different times as a 'Quaker'  organization,
and sometimes as a 'Quaker inspired' or 'Quaker Values in Action'
organization.  Friends might notice that the phrase 'religious humanitarian group' and/or
the word 'Quaker' finds its way into stories describing AFSC when there is
contention or controversy, in this case - alleged persecution by a police agency,
according to the Chicago Tribune.  One might also notice that news stories
which are less controversial, such as humanitarian aid, many times do not refer
to AFSC as prominently, as a 'Quaker' or 'religious' organization.

The issue in question was politically and economically related, concerning a
public demonstration, planned by AFSC in Chicago.   The concern by AFSC and
the ACLU regards the alleged police infiltration of the AFSC.  The alleged
inflitration being petitioned in the courts this week, occured while AFSC was
planning to stage a protest at a business conference in 2002 called:  The
TransAtlantic Business Dialogue Conference.

Do Friends see the naming of AFSC in this case and other highly charged
cases, as a 'religious group', as leverage on the historic integrity of the
Religious Society of Friends - even as AFSC has evolved away , or seems to be
evolving away from being a 'Quaker' organization?

As Friends decline in number, and 'Quaker groups' become professionalized -
how do we manage to keep our identity as we work with friends from the wider
world who share our outward concerns, yet are not that familiar with our inward
faith?

AFSC/Protest/Civil Rights/ACLU/ACLU seeks police files on infiltration of
group/Chicago Tribune /Chicago/IL/USA/26-Apr-05

---------

The most inspiring story to me was not widely reported, however it shows that
Friends, no matter which flavor, or where they live, do have important things
in common.

Architecture/Expansion//Country church to expand/Eudora
News/Hesper/KS/USA/28-Apr-05

--------

Other stories which shaped the face of the Quaker faith toward the public
this week were:

Category/Article Title/News Source/City/Area/Region/Date

War/Politics and Economics/Protest/Iraq//Peace rally was an asset to
Fayetteville/Fayetteveille Observer/Fayetteville/NC/USA/25-Apr-05
War/Conscientious Objecton /Refugee or deserter?/Christian Science
Monitor/ALL/ALL/USA/26-Apr-05
Slavery/Underground Railroad/Letters: Listeners Slam Poetry Scams
/NPR/Washington/DC/USA/25-Apr-05
Religious Faith /Silence///Unchain my heart: - a journey with some friends
/Acton-The Beacon/Acton/MA/USA/28-Apr-05
Religious Faith /Politics and Economics/An ugly new chapter in the religious
wars/Boston Globe/Boston/MA/USA/25-Apr-05
Religioius Diversity///You can’t always tell a house of worship by its label
/Wednesday Journal/Oak Park/IL/USA/27-Apr-05
Quaker Schools /Obituary///life's odds, ends up for auction/Greensboro News
Record/Greensboro/NC/USA/25-Apr-05
Quaker Schools ///Abington Friends names new school leader/Philadelphia
Enquirer/Philadelphia/PA/USA/27-Apr-05
Quaker Schools ///Best friends plan trip of a lifetime/Cherry Hill Courier
Post/Cherry Hill/NJ/USA/27-Apr-05
Quaker Schools ///Paula is marvellous, we might even marry...
/Scotsman/Glasgow/Scotland/UK/26-Apr-05
Quaker Schools ///Views From Third Street: Proud to promote Penn.../West
Liberty Index/West Liberty/IA/USA/26-Apr-05
Quaker Schools ///School briefs: Straight A's will be honored/Durham Herald
Sun/Durham/NC/USA/24-Apr-05
Quaker History/War/Book Review/REVOLUTIONARY MOTHERS. By Carol Berkin. Knopf,
224 pages, $24 .../The Decatur Daily/Decatur/AL/USA/24-Apr-05
Quaker History/Slavery /Abolition//Climbing 'Fences'/Portsmouth Herald
News/Portsmouth/NH/USA/26-Apr-05
Quaker History/Slavery ///Things to do/The Jackson
Citizen-Patriot/Jackson/MI/USA/28-Apr-05
Quaker History/Real Estate Development/Main Street hearing planned for May 5
/Friendswood Journal/Friendswood/TX/USA/28-Apr-05
Quaker History/Real Estate Development/Preserving agricultural acreage a top
priority/Baltimore Sun/Baltimore/MD/USA/24-Apr-05
Quaker History/Quaker Schools//William Councill A&M's 1st leader/Huntsville
Times/Huntsville/AL/USA/24-Apr-05
Quaker History/Natural Science /Bartram//Portable library/Up & Coming
Magazine/NC/USA/27-Apr-05
Quaker History/Hicks, Elias/Whitman, Walt/Washington celebrates work of
Whitman/Chicago Tribune/Chicago/IL/USA/26-Apr-05
Quaker History///Quakertown 150 years ago
/phillyburbs.com/Philadelphia/PA/USA/25-Apr-05
Protest/Peace Activity//Mark Thomas/New Statesman/London/England/UK/28-Apr-05
Peace Activities /Religious Diversity//Children will fly kites in the air for
peace on earth/Santa Cruz Sentinel/Santa Cruz/CA/USA/27-Apr-05
Peace Activities /Nuclear non-proliferation/My battle to ban the bomb/ic
CheshireOnline/Northwich/England/UK/20-Apr-05
Peace Activities /Conflict Resolution//Quakers move to curb city violence
/SouthCoastToday.com/MA/USA/25-Apr-05
International Conflict/Quaker Schools/Swarthmore/Rwandan teen, excelling in
US, now lobbies for Darfur aid/Stamford Advocate/Stamford/CT/USA/24-Apr-05
International Conflict/Peace Activity//Quaker has high hopes for the Mideast
/York Daily Record/York/PA/USA/25-Apr-05
Inner Peace///Single mom focused on finding success/Providence Journal
/Providence/RI/USA/24-Apr-05
FCNL/Peace Activities /Obituary///Marla's legacy: Locals reflect on what
Ruzicka meant to them and .../Lake County Record-Bee/Lake County/CA/USA/27-Apr-05
Business/Recreation/Politics and Economics/George, Henry/Atlantic City's
monopoly on Monopoly/Birmingham News/Birmingham/AL/USA/26-Apr-05
Arts/Quilts///Locally made quilts on display at annual quilt show
/Palladium-Item/Indianapolis/IN/USA/28-Apr-05
AFSC/War/Counter Recruiting/Protesters target US Army recruiters at CMU
/Pittsburgh Post Gazette/Pittsburgh/PA/USA/26-Apr-05
AFSC/Immigration//Latinos edgy over use of immigration law on crime/San Diego
Union Tribune/San Diego/CA/USA/26-Apr-05