[saymaListserv] Jacksonville Mayor cuts $15, 000 grant to LGBT youth program

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 4 09:02:18 JEST 2005

Friends,

One of the most remarkable things about Jacksonville, FL, is that it has a strong program for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered young people under age 24:

JASMYN (Jacksonville Area Sexual Minority Youth Network)
http://www.jasmyn.org/about.htm

Among other things, JASMYN runs a Safety Net Program which "helps homeless and disadvantaged young adults get off the streets, into safe places to live, and find jobs? We also sponsor a food pantry and give bus tokens to these youth to help them to appointments."

Until recently, the City of Jacksonville was giving this program an annual grant of $15,000.  JASMYN was able to raise more funds from other sources using the cache of City funding support.

Now Mayor Peyton has proposed cutting that $15,000, as part of trying to fix serious budget shortfalls--but that is "hardly a drop in the $12.8 million bucket of the Public Service Grant program."

Please take a look at JASMYN's Action Item, which I have posted on SEYM's Peace & Social Concerns website:
http://seympeace.org/JASMYNcover.htm

Friends may not feel it appropriate to intervene by petitioning in local political and budgetary matters elsewhere in the country, but I would ask you to share the information with your contacts in the Southeast, especially in North Florida...and, of course, to hold JASMYN, Mayor Peyton and the City of Jacksonville in the Light.

Blessed Be,
Michael