[saymaListserv] Fwd: Re: Regarding Quaker Social Concerns for the World's Poor)

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 14:19:18 JEST 2005

This letter is a response to SAYMA Friend Nancy Winfrey who wrote to
me about the article I sent out called "Globalization and The World's
Poor", which was published as TQE (The Quaker Economist) #121.
Janet

Hi Nancy, Thanks for your thoughtful response.  I really think you
are not aware of solid political economic research on the effects of
globalization as published by the men I cite in the article.

The two books I recommended, In Defense of Globalization by Jagdish
Bhagwati, and Why Globalization Works by Martin Wolf, both deal with
the concern you raise about corporations, but in different ways.
Martin Wolf addresses it in his chapter 12, "Corporations: Predatory
or Beneficial".  Bhagwati, whose book more directly responds to
anti-globalization sentiment and misinformation, addresses the issue
in his chapter 11, "Cowed By Corporations".  They each provide their
version of economic history and show through their research that
globalization,
as carried out by multinational corporations, has benefitted the poor
dramatically.  They do not claim that it was the intention of the
multinationals to benefit the poor, but they did benefit the poor
nonetheless.  Therefore I believe that the two authors effectively
respond to your concern about "the corporate entity itself" being
inherently flawed.

If you read the rest of each of these books, I think you will find
that Wolf and Baghwati also respond effectively to your concerns
about growth.  As I state in a letter which appears in the August
issue of Friends Journal in response to another letter from SAYMA's
Errol Hess, it isn't simply a question of, as Errol put it, "a notion
of growth" upon which our economy is based, but rather it is a
history of more than 700 years of growth upon which our civilization
is based.

Continuing from my letter:  "Growth from clans to city-states moved
us to develop the rule of law, property ownership, improved
transportation, and improved communications. The growth of City
States to Nation States and then to a world economy resulted from the
ascendance of reason, science and technology, and the innovations
they have produced."

(My partner, Free, suggests that you might wish to see the film "The
Corporation", a documentary produced by the Canadian Broadcasting
System.  http://www.thecorporation.com.		Best Regards, Janet

Dear Janet,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but I needed to reflect on
your reply so I could answer it in Friendly fashion.  First, let me
say that I am looking forward to many face to face interesting
discussions, if and when you and Free can join Clemson WG.  I don't
learn much from people who simply agree with me!....