[saymaListserv] Fw: From Mary Ellen McNish Re Tom Fox - yesterday

Charles Schade c.vmbra at verizon.net
Thu Dec 1 21:14:26 JEST 2005

In view of concerns posted on this listserv, I thought Friends might want to know of this communication about Tom Fox from the American Friends Service Committee.  Conni Lewis is on the Mid Atlantic Region Board and can vouch for its authenticity.

cps

Dear AFSC Board and Corporation members,

The text below was sent out this afternoon from Mary Ellen McNish to AFSC staff:

I know that many of you have received phone calls regarding Tom Fox of Langley Hill Monthly Meeting and the other members of the Christian Peacemaker Team who have been abducted in Iraq.  Staff members have been in touch with both Tom Fox's family and CPT over the past days.  Based on these conversations, we feel that public statements or calls for action would be counter-productive at this time.  If you receive phone calls or inquiries, please use the following statement:

As a Quaker organization, the American Friends Service Committee believes there is that of God in every person.  Our prayers are with our fellow Friend, Tom Fox, and with James Loney, Harmeet Singh Sooden, Norman Kember, their families, their captors, and Christian Peacemaker Teams.  In the interest of the safety of those who have been abducted, we can say nothing further at this time.

Please refer any program inquiries to Bill Pierre, Director of Middle East and Europe Region Programs, at 215-241-7142.

Any media inquiries should be directed to Janis Shields, Director of Media Relations.