[saymaListserv] Cookeville High School tells Quakers "anti-warmaterial is offensive"

Red & Deanna reddeanna at charter.net
Thu Feb 3 21:21:24 JEST 2005

I've just gotten home from the School Board meeting mentioned in the article below.  Steve, I'm so glad you saw it and got it into the list.  It also appeared in the Nashville paper and the Cookeville paper.

Hector made a three-minute presentation.  He spoke with such gentleness.  And with a moral authority I have never seen in a human before.  He spoke of his service in the military.  He spoke of the Sermon on the Mount and said that he believed when Jesus taught that we are to love our enemy he meant we are to love our enemy.  He assured the School Board that we are not against the military recruiters.  I felt quite in awe.  Four others spoke, two from Veterans for Peace, and two from the community.  The two community members spoke in favor of allowing us to present materials on alternatives to the draft.

The superintendent referred to several legal principles, like the First Amendment, that are relevent to this situation.  The School Board voted to refer the matter to their legal counsel.

In peace,

Deanna

Deanna Nipp
Cookeville Preparative Meeting