[saymaListserv] SAYMA's Electronic Communications systems
CIsland at aol.com
CIsland at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 18:06:31 JEST 2005
TO: SAYMA Friends who may have missed seeing the quesionnaire below
or who need a prompt to respond.
FROM: Bill Reynolds, Clerk, SAYMA Ad Hoc Committee on Electronic
RE: SURVEY QUESTIONNAIRE
Your Yearly Meeting, "SAYMA," is seeking to improve its utilization of the
opportunities that electronic communications offer, or at least reduce the
problems that arise in its use.
The ad hoc committee was formed to seek out what improvements might be
possible and desirable. To begin the seeking this committee is soliciting
feedback from all SAYMA Friends. The questionnaire below is for gathering this
feedback. Any responses to any one or more of the questions are helpful; no on
need feel obligated to answer every question, or even most of them.
The committee selected the 22nd of this month (22,Second Month, 2005) as its
target date to gather almost all responses in order to begin the next stage
of our work with those responses as the "data base." (This means we do not
expect that date to be a deadline - just a target date. We are sensitive to
how busy the personal and meeting lives are for most, if not all, Friends in
SAYMA and do not want to exclude feedback from any who could not provide it
by any particular date. But,) If possible, please aim to send it in by
around that target date.
My thanks to you for your efforts on this questionnaire project, and for
your effort toward the development of Yearly Meeting e-communications policies
and procedures that will assure SAYMA's faith and testimonies continue to be
advanced through its use of electronic media.
QUESTIONNAIRE on SAYMA's listserv, website, & other possible electronic
Any responses to any one or more of the questions are helpful; no on need
feel obligated to answer every question, or even most of them.
I. ListServ – (Questions for those who have been subscribers to the SAYMA
listserv, have tried to subscribe and not been able to, or in consideration
of some of these questions think they might become a subscriber):
* Have you had any technical problems with the ListServ (subscribing,
reading, posting, sending)? If yes, please describe the problem?
* Do you feel that the ListServ is useful?
* What kind(s) of messages are of most interest to you?
* In your view are there any problems with the content of the ListServ?
* Would you like to see more or fewer postings?
* How could the ListServ be improved?
* Would you prefer to have more than one SAYMA ListServ, each to have
designated functions? (For example, one for official SAYMA business notices and
communicating concerns or suggestions about business before the Yearly Meeting
(maybe call this a YM "business list") , the second for topical discussions
NOT directly related to SAYMA's current discernment process (maybe call this a
"discussion list"), a third for other?
II. SAYMA Web Site (We would like everyone who responds to a question in
this list to make at least one visit to the website before they respond.)
* Have you used the web site successfully to answer a question or otherwise
get useful information?
* Have you had technical problems with the web site (unable to download
documents, unable to view properly)?
* What kind of information on the web site is most useful?
* What kind of information would you like to see added to the web site?
* Have you had any problems finding information on the web site? If yes,
* How could the web site be improved?
III. SAYMA Electronic Communications in General: (We want everyone who will
to provide feedback on the following sets of questions regardless of whether
they have or have not ever connected to either electronic service.)
Many people see electronic communication as a way to bridge the distances
that separate us within the yearly meeting---to keep in touch with distant
Friends, to support YM committee work, and distribute information quickly and
cheaply. Many people also see problems---information overload, spam, risk of
harassment or identity theft, gap between the techno-savvy and the
non-technical, temptation to bypass face-to-face, worshipful discernment, etc.
Questions related to Values and Testimonies :
* How do you regard the use of e-communications in the light of Quaker
values and testimonies?
* In your view what is the proper role of electronic communications in SAYMA?
* What concerns, doubts or sense of opening do you have about the use of
e-communications in SAYMA?
General operational questions about SAYMA e-communications:
* What other types of e-communication do you think would be useful within
SAYMA? (group e-mail, web forum, newsgroup, conferencing, committee-work
web-pages...) Please comment on what you think the useful benefits from any of
these would be.
* Should the yearly meeting be more aggressive or more cautious in its use
of electronic communication?
More aggressive with which one(s) of the different e-communication
More cautious with which one(s)?
*Any additional suggestions, concerns or comments?
Please forward your responses (either individually or in a compilation) to :
Bill Reynolds, e-mail: < _cisland at aol.com_ (mailto:cisland at aol.com) >; US
Postal Service: 3529 Dell Trail, Chattanooga, TN 37411
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sayma