[saymaListserv] Yearly Meeting 2005

Errol Hess errol at kitenet.net
Fri Feb 4 21:17:50 JEST 2005

Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting & Assoc.
Warren Wilson College
Swannannoa, NC
June 9-12, 2005

Once again, Quakers from the Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting & Association (SAYMA) will gather in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains at Warren Wilson College. Friends will gather to worship, deepen our faith, meet new friends and renew relationships.
We  invite newcomers and Friends from small or isolated Meetings and Worship Groups to attend to get to know people in other Meetings.
Our yearly meeting will begin on Thursday afternoon with worship and meeting for business and continue through Sunday morning worship and lunch.  We will open for early registration on Wednesday, June 8 at 4 pm to ease travel plans for those far away. Dinner will also be offered on Wednesday evening, and Breakfast and Lunch on Thursday. Dorm space and FAPS will also  be available starting on Wednesday evening for SAYF participants.
Our speaker this year will be Keith Helmuth, a prolific writer whose works have appeared in a number of periodicals including Orion, Echoes, EarthLight, and Friends Journal. He is the author of "If John Woolman Were Among Us" and is the editor and principle author of  "As If We Planned To Stay." His speaking engagements include plenary presentations to meetings of Friends World Committee for Consultation, Northeast Region (twice), the 2002 Woolman Memorial Lecture at Mount Holly, NJ ("John Woolman and the Work Ethic"), the 2004 Sunderland P. Gardner Memorial Lecture at Canadian Yearly Meeting ("Arrowhead to Hand Axe: In Search of Ecological Guidance"). Keith and his wife, Ellen, are sojourning members of Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting.
On Thursday through Saturday evenings, we will enjoy intergenerational singing followed by worship, then continue to the evening plenary session. Thursday evening we will hear from representatives of Friends World Committee for Consultation (FWCC), Quaker Earthcare Witness (QEW), American Friends Service Committee Southeast Regional Office (AFSC-SERO), and Friends Committee on Outworld Relations (FCOR). Friday evening will be a presentation from our featured speaker, Keith Helmuth. Saturday evening will feature our famous Talent Show, hosted by Joyce "EarthMama" Rouse.
Young Adult Friends (YAF) is a community of Friends aged 18-35 (more or less) who share a living space at Yearly Meeting. YAFs follow most of the Yearly Meeting's schedule, but set aside time for YAF worship sharing, meeting for business, and fellowship to discuss their spiritual journeys, emotional challenges, roles in the Yearly Meeting and in the wider Quaker community.
Southern Appalachian Young Friends (SAYF) offers teens in grades 7-12 their own shared living space, time for worship, workshops, decision-making and just hanging out together through a program mostly designed and run by the youth themselves, with the oversight of friendly adults.
Junior Yearly Meeting plans spiritually-based activities, deeply rooted in Quakerism, for children from infancy to 12 years old. This program will be led by Ron McDonald (Memphis Monthly Meeting) and will include crafts, singing, and outdoor play. To encourage families with young children to attend, there will be no registration fee for children 12 and under.
Program and registration information will be available in early April. Work grants and scholarships will be offered; we do not want anyone to stay away due to cost.  (We ask  that you request funds first from your own Monthly Meeting.)  Contact your monthly meeting clerk, SAYMA representative or the SAYMA office (SAYMA, PO Box 2191, Abingdon, VA 24212-2191 or adminasst at sayma.org) for more information.