[saymaListserv] Cookeville School Board meeting

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sun Feb 6 15:04:36 JEST 2005

Not answering for any Friend except myself; others may be moved
to unite with my observation or offer other thoughts. I think our
lurker friend asks a very appropriate question for all of us to hold in
the Light whenever we are called upon to speak the truth of our
Peace Testimony.

The sitting President of our nation has defined Peace as a political
issue by identifying himself as a "wartime President" and stating
that "either you are with us or you are with the terrorists". Any
attempt to dismiss Peace as a political issue is an exercise in futility;
it was not up to us to create such a definition, and we are in no
position to dispute it.

However there is a difference between statements that can be
construed as political and statements that can be construed as
partisan, and this is the point upon which the situation actually turns,
in my opinion. There is absolutely no reason for the school board to
attempt to prohibit political discourse in the schools, in fact to do so
would run counter to their mandate to educate our youth, and would
be a most fundamental and egregious violation of the First
Amendment to the Constitution.

On the other hand, it is entirely reasonable for the school board to
be concerned about disseminating materials of a partisan nature in
the schools, and this is a point upon which we Friends would be led
by our experience and our testimony of equality to concede. It then
becomes incumbent upon all involved - including the military
recruiters - to avoid any language that makes value judgments
about political parties, rather than burdening the school with making
value judgments about what constitutes a political statement.

Steve

--
Steve Livingston
nc_stereoman at charter.net