[saymaListserv] Environmental workshop for students in the SE - Feb. 17-20

JGuerry-CShea guershea at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 11 20:42:36 JEST 2005

SAYMA,

This message was sent to the Huntsville Area Friends Meeting by one of our
attenders who is deeply involved with "Wild South" (see URL below), an
environmental organization headquartered here in North Alabama.  I copy
Janice's message without edit.

Wild Southerners,

This just came to our attention.  Please pass along to students in the
Southeast who may be interested.

Thanks!

Wild South
P. O. Box 117
Moulton, Alabama  35650
janice at wildsouth.org  www.wildsouth.org
256-974-6166

HELP BUILD ENERGY ACTIVISM IN THE SOUTHEAST!!
HELP CREATE A CLEAN ENERGY FUTURE!!

********2005 Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference!!********
 <http://energyconference.utk.edu> http://energyconference.utk.edu

If you would like to learn more about the renewable energy movement in the
Southeast or are interested in starting a renewable energy campaign at your
school, now is your chance.  During three days of intense, inspiring and fun

workshops, students will have the opportunity to:

. Engage experts from the renewable energy industry, advocacy organizations
and academia. (See listing below)

. Hear great speakers such as Woody Harrelson and Dr. Christian Turner the
UK Embassy's First Secretary on Energy and the Environment!!!

. Learn from the experiences of students who have already organized
successful green energy campaigns at other universities.

. Take an inspiring trip to the largest windfarm in the Southeast, Buffalo
Mountain.

. Return home with the experiences, knowledge and networking necessary to
organize green energy campaigns at their own universities!

WHEN: February 17-20, 2005

WHERE: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

PRESENTERS INCLUDE REPRESENTATIVES FROM: Southern Alliance for Clean Energy,

Appalachian Voices, Coal River Mountain Watch, Sierra Club, Katuah Earth
First!, Physicians for Social Responsibility, American Lung Association, US
Climate Action Network, Duke University, Chesapeake Climate Action Network,
Knoxville's local US Green Building Council chapter, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, Tulane University, Center for Resource Solutions, Tennessee
Valley Infrastructure Group Inc., Appalachian State University, Million
Solar Roofs, Florida Solar Energy Center, North Carolina Solar Center,
Department of Energy, Colorado State University, State Public Research
Interest Group, Energy Action, Knoxville Transportation Planning
Organization, East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition, And More!!!!

HOW MUCH: The $35 registration fee covers food, housing and all three days'
activities. If travel or registration is a problem, please contact
 <mailto:nick at cleanenergy.org> nick at cleanenergy.org, he will help you GET
HERE!

Attention Florida Students:  We are currently working on a Charter Bus
coming from Orlando Florida, we need SGA and organizational club sponsorship

to get FL students to TN.  PLEASE inquire at:  <mailto:nick at cleanenergy.org>
nick at cleanenergy.org

To register and for all of the other details; including FAQs, forums, ride
board and contact information, go to:  <http://energyconference.utk.edu>
http://energyconference.utk.edu.
< <http://energyconference.utk.edu> http://energyconference.utk.edu>

HOSTED BY: UT-Knoxville's Students Promoting Environmental Action in
Knoxville (SPEAK) and the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy (SACE)

PLEASE FORWARD far and wide!!

================
Looking for more details? Read on!
================
More info/register online:  <http://energyconference.utk.edu>
http://energyconference.utk.edu

The 2nd Annual Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference!!

February 17th-20th 2005

University of Tennessee, Knoxville Tennessee

Questions??
Check out our FAQ  <http://energyconference.utk.edu/faq.html>
http://energyconference.utk.edu/faq.html
or email:  <mailto:energycon at utk.edu> energycon at utk.edu

If you would like to learn more about the renewable energy movement in
the Southeast or are interested in starting a renewable energy campaign
at your school, now is your chance to....

SEE GREAT SPEAKERS & PRESENTATIONS:

Thursday Evening February 17th -
Viewing of GO FURTHER - a new documentary ........

"Go Further", the new film by award-winning documentary filmmaker Ron Mann,
explores the idea that the single individual is the key to large-scale
transformational change. The film follows actor Woody Harrelson as he takes
a small group of friends on a bio-fuelled bus-ride down the Pacific Coast
Highway. Their goal? To show the people they encounter that there are
viable alternatives to our habitual, environmentally destructive behaviors.

Friday February 18th -
Visit the Buffalo Mountain Wind Turbines! Tour the Southeast's first
commercial Wind Farm; 27 MW of Clean Green Renewable Energy!

United Kingdom First Secretary, Dr. Christian Turner
Listen to the UK Embassy's First Secretary on Energy and the Environment
speak about the international scope on clean energy and climate change!!

View Jeff Barrie's documentary Kilowatt Ours, an in depth look at the
Southeast energy epidemic as it relates to dramatic health problems,
the destruction of our natural world and what we can do to change it!

Saturday February 19th -

Hear presentations from Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, Appalachian
Voices, Coal River Mountain Watch, Sierra Club, Katuah Earth First!,
Physicians for Social Responsibility, American Lung Association, US Climate
Action Network, Duke University, Chesapeake Climate Action Network,
Knoxville's local US Green Building Council chapter, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, Tulane University, Center for Resource Solutions, Tennessee
Valley Infrastructure Group Inc., Appalachian State University, Million
Solar Roofs, Florida Solar Energy Center, North Carolina Solar Center,
Department of Energy, Colorado State University, State Public Research
Interest Group, Energy Action, Knoxville Transportation Planning
Organization, East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition, And More!!!!!!!

Sunday February 20th -

Hear about transportation alternatives!

Build a State Work Plan with other universities from you state!

Build a campus work plan to take back to your community!

Hear about the University of Tennessee Clean Energy Initiative!

Visit a solar array!

Learn how to more effectively build a Southeast Regional Network!

Hear an inspiring Keynote address....

Activist/Actor, Woody Harrelson, on location in the winter wilds of
Minnesota, hopes to join us to close out the conference (weather
permitting). Let's all hope the forces of mother nature are on our side!

GET NETWORKED TO BUILD THE MOVEMENT:

* Meet and exchange ideas with other like-minded students
* Learn campaign strategies and hear success stories from students across
the Southeast
* Network with representatives from renewable energy organizations

GET THE SKILLS TO EMPOWER YOURSELF AND OTHERS:

Mastering Organizing Workshops:

* Campus clean energy plans
* Craft a strategic state plan with universities in your state to work
collectively towards a common goal
* Help craft the vision for the growing Southeast Student Climate and
Energy Network
* University of Tennessee as a model
* and many more!

Find the answers to these questions:

* How do you buy renewable energy?
* Is global warming real?
* What is a Greenhouse Gas Inventory?
* What IS and is NOT green energy?
* Are there solutions for Renewable Energy in Transportation?
* and many more!

LOGISTICS:

* Housing will be provided for all conference participants!

*** Bring a sleeping bag and get ready to share floor space. ***

* Vegetarian food will be provided for all. Bring a bowl & silverware to
reduce waste and help conference organizers!

*Registration is $35.

REGISTER ONLINE:  <http://energyconference.utk.edu>
http://energyconference.utk.edu

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Please check out our website at  <http://energyconference.utk.edu>
http://energyconference.utk.edu

We have a limited number of spaces, so please register as soon as possible
if you are interested in attending our conference. Your space will not be
reserved until your payment is received.

We hope to see you this February, to begin the process of empowering the
future in the southeast with a clean energy revolution!

In solidarity,
The Renewably (RE)-Energized,
Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference Planning Committee (Knoxville
edition!)

the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
NOTE: Temporary office line: 865.524.5542/888.524.5543
-- -- ~~ -- --
Southeast Student Activists: Register now for the
2nd Annual Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference
Knoxville TN, Feb 18th-20th
 <http://energyconference.utk.edu/> http://energyconference.utk.edu/
-- -- ~~ -- --
nick algee
Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
PO Box 1842 Knoxville, TN 37901
865 637 6055 ext 22 or (800 #) 866 522 SACE
321 217 7747 (cell)
865 524 4479 (fax)
 <mailto:nick at cleanenergy.org> nick at cleanenergy.org
 <http://www.cleanenergy.org> Www.cleanenergy.org