[saymaListserv] Cookeville materials

Susan Jeffers susan at read-the-bible.org
Sat Feb 12 11:46:39 JEST 2005

Thanks so much for sending the list of materials and how to access them
online.

So far I've only gotten to item 2, the Veterans for Peace Iraq Water
Project.  It certainly qualifies as "partisan" in my view -- positioning
itself as "at ethical dagger points" with the current administration and
including almost as much anti-administration rhetoric (e.g. "the Bush
neo-imperial" approach; "gigantic US corporations with moneyed tentacles
wrapped around the heart of Washington..." etc.) as information about the
Water Project itself.

It seems to me that if the school's objection is to "political" in the
sense of "partisan" materials, this is definitely one piece that should be
excluded; perhaps Veterans for Peace could consider producing another
brochure about their water project that leaves out the partisan part...
unless the Water Project's primary purpose is partisan, of course.

It also seems to me that a broader range of teens might be open to the
literature if it stuck closer to "alternatives to military service" or
"thinking twice about enlisting" rather than assuming a whole
anti-administration political analysis... Presumably a person who agreed
with the Veterans for Peace take on the war wouldn't be thinking of
enlisting in the first place; hence it's preaching to the choir.

Thanks again -- sorry to make work for you -- I really appreciate it,
though, as I've been wondering what sorts of literature is being provided
to high schoolers these days --

Susan Jeffers

EMail: susan at read-the-bible.org
Peace Church Bible Study Home Page: www.read-the-bible.org