[saymaListserv] Marriage & Kinship

Michael Austin Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 17 22:36:13 JEST 2005

Friends,

I just read a book review which has given me new insight into the current
debate about same-sex marriage.  The book is THE FRIEND, by Alan Bray
(University of Chicago Press, 2003), reviewed by Russell A. Jackson in THE
GAY & LESBIAN REVIEW (Mar-Apr 2004, pp.38-39).

My partner Jim and I were married under the care of Columbia (SC) Monthly
Meeting in December of 1994, and we have considered each other to be a
couple since May of 1985.  I am an unhesitant advocate of equitable civil
marriage for gay and straight couples.  I believe that civil marriage is a
legal contract conferring rights, privileges and benefits to married
couples, and that religious doctrines which argue against same-sex marriage
are not constitutional grounds for denying one class of citizens equal
benefit of the law.  Religious groups may choose not to sacramentalize
same-sex marriages, but the state has no legitimate grounds for denying
them legal status.

I nevertheless am uncomfortable with the argument of some advocates that
there is no difference between gay and straight couples except the sexual
orientation of the partners.  I believe this argument actually weakens our
case.  In biological terms, the two kinds of coupling are clearly
asymmetrical: both involve sexual attraction and the sharing of sexual
pleasure, yet only one directly involves the possibility of
procreation.  This is a profound difference, and I believe we err when we
trivialize it or when we ignore how deeply grounded both the spiritual and
the animal reverence for procreative coupling is.  We do not need to argue
for a false symmetry in order to legitimize the genuine loving
relationships of same-sex couples.

In Jackson's discussion of Bray's work, I think I have found better grounds
for arguing the equivalence of gay and straight marriages.  Bray's research
was inspired by his seeing the 1684 tomb of John Finch and Thomas Baines at
Christ's College, Cambridge.  As Bray writes, "the helmets of the two men
seem as if about to kiss....  The arrangement given to the arms of these
two men [in the engraved monument] is that of a married couple."  Bray's
central argument is that, from 1000 through the 19th century, "there were
forms of kinship outside of traditional marriage and family that shaped
English [and European] culture–and that these family-like bonds were base
on the teachings of the Church and were, in fact, blessed by its
officials."  Here is the key passage in Jackson's review:

"Unlike modern friendship, Bray contends, traditional 'friendship was
significant in a public sphere.  In modern civil society, friendship has
not been perceived to be a public matter, or more precisely ought not to be
so.'  Moreover, we moderns have lost the ability to conceive of intimate
relations between two unrelated people, especially where physical contact
is involved, as other than motivated primarily by sex.  It is Bray's
contention that the sexual aspect of these bonds, if any, was incidental to
their purpose of cementing loyalty between two individuals and their larger
social network.  In other words, medieval Englishmen kissed, slept
together, and shared graves as a way to link their families for political
and economic advantage.

"Bray concedes that this type of relationship 'included the potential for
the erotic, as it included much else, with a potential for good and ill
alike: self-advancement, the equivocal love for the familiar and the same;
but also a capacity to love, and a desire to give, and above all a
traditional Christian faith that took as its axiom that the point of
religion–what it did for a living–was that it was an instrument by which
neighbors, kin and friends could succeed in living in peace with each
other.'  The kisses, the vows, the joint burials, then, were simply
cultural traditions that allowed mortals to find their way together in a
crazy mixed-up world–a way of living out one's belief that the Christian
God is the embodiment of friendship."

This is remarkable information.  What it tells me is that on both sides of
the marriage argument we may be missing the point.  At least we have been
distracted–on both sides–by the sexual dimension of coupling.  What we all
tend to forget in the midst of our struggle is that marriage is more about
KINSHIP than about sexuality.  No one, straight or gay, needs to be married
in order to have sex.  Yet anyone who wishes for a kinship relationship to
be publicly recognized and legally protected needs to have it named as such
and certified publicly.

For me, when I advocate for equity in civil marriage, I am insisting upon
public and legal acknowledgment of and protection for the kinship bond
which Jim and I recognized almost twenty years ago, vowed to each other
before our Quaker Meeting ten years ago, and have declared and lived out in
the presence of both our families and of those who know us personally or
professionally.  Kinship is the issue.

Blessed Be,
Michael.