[saymaListserv] How Ribbons Became a National Folk Symbol (American Folklife Center)

free polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 18:36:29 JEST 2005

Hi

There are yellow ribbons showing up in all sorts of places:  trees, cars,
trucks, offices. .

They seem to say "Support our Troops", but in truth they can be interpreted
to mean "Support the War in Iraq"., especially with the red, white and blue
ribbon next to it now showing up, too.

I've done a search on the web to look into the history of the ribbon as a
symbol and found this explanation to be the most reliable.   If anyone else
has a better source, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Notice that the first ribbon thought to be tied to a tree was meant as a
message for someone who couldn't read or write, who wasn't sure he would be
welcomed home after many years away while serving time in prison and didn't
want to go home and find out.    The ribbon on the tree meant "Welcome Home".

I like the idea of having a simple message with a ribbon, so another search
found me a link that had ribbons printed on a bumper sticker that was more
in line with my Quaker beliefs that I could put on my car that
said   "Support the Troops, Bring them home
NOW!"   http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/yellowribbon_graphics/  ( where
there is another link to where you can buy the bumper stickers.)

I've put this sticker on my car and on the FNCL yard signs under the "War
is not the Answer".   Fits perfectly.

If you like to know more about the history of the yellow ribbon, follow
this link:

http://www.loc.gov/folklife/ribbons/ribbons.html

If you want to know where to get those bumper stickers (20 for $20)  you
can follow this link:

http://www.northernsun.com/cgi-bin/ns/5651.html

Let's speak up as well as hold all the troops in the Light.

Blessings,

Free