[saymaListserv] Re: [Memphis Quaker - Old List] Gay at the Gathering

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Mon Mar 28 10:43:19 JEST 2005

Your inquiry cuts to the very heart of the matter, Kristi! Your concerns
are among the 1001 reasons why I believe Quaker meetings should stop
participating in State-sanctioned marriages unless the home State
affords the same rights to all couples. But I offer the following to
assuage your concerns about attending the Gathering in July.

There is a clause in the Constitution that states:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts,
Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

This is interpreted to mean, in effect, that the laws of your home state
take precedence over disputing laws in another state where you happen
to be visiting. The "full faith and credit" clause is the reason why a
Constitutional Amendment is required in order to outlaw same-gender
unions. Without an amendment, any given State may provide legal
matrimony to same-gender couples, and the rights and privileges
afforded by that contract must be respected in other States regardless of
their particular prohibitions.

I look forward to seeing you and your two children - and maybe your
partner - at our Gathering in July! I hope Way may open for another
family with children to travel with you, so the kids may enjoy getting to
know one another on the long journey, and your Mommy-van will only
use half as much fuel per person!

Steve