[saymaListserv] Fw: [cfm] New Orleans Relief

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Sat Sep 3 19:36:29 JEST 2005

One Friend's idea about how to help...

Mary Calhoun
Foxfire FM

----- Original Message -----
From: James Hebert
To: cfm at palmettofriends.org
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [cfm] New Orleans Relief

Friends:

Many people are displaced.  The major medical school and schools of public health in Louisiana
will not be fully operational for 6 months or more.  Many of those people, who have chosen to devote their lives to improving the publics' health, are now faced with careers that are in dire risk (e.g., things like -80oC freezers losing power for days and with it years, indeed decades, of painstaking work going literally to waste).  Adversity, in particular the kinds of hardship that any mortal can suffer (irrespective of politicians role in creating, or not responding appropriately to, the disaster), can give people the fire to really make a difference.  I do not know if living in desperate situations and getting hepatitis, malaria, dengue fever, etc., etc., in the process has given me extra fortitude.  I suspect so, though.

As a real, tangible way to help folks who share most of our values, I have offered to provide space and a good, collaborative research environment for to up to 3 faculty and 5 students from Tulane/ LSU.  I do not know if anyone will take me up on this offer - but if they do, we will need housing for these people.  Please consider helping out.  I will keep you posted.

Sincerely, James

NOTE THAT THE CONTACT INFORMATION HAS CHANGED
James R. Hebert, MSPH, ScD, Professor
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina
Director, Statewide Cancer Prevention & Control Program
Hollings Cancer Center, Medical University of SC, Charleston

Contact: Cancer Prevention and Control Program
2221 Devine Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Telephone: (803) 734-4489
Fax: (803) 734-5259
e-mail: jhebert at sc.edu

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from
those who hunger and are not fed,
those who are cold and not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone.
It is spending the sweat of its laborers,
the genius of its scientists,
the hopes of its children.
This is not a way of life at all in any true sense.
Under the cloud of threatening war,
it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

--- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969).