[saymaListserv] Jonah's Bicycle Pilgrimage for Katrina Victims

Jonah McDonald jonahpmcd at teacher.com
Mon Sep 19 15:51:48 JEST 2005

Hi!  Jonah McDonald from Atlanta here, writing to tell you about an adventure I'm going on.  Some of you have already heard about this, but I want to make sure I tell as many Friends as possible.  Please share this with your Monthly Meetings and with any other F/friends!

In about a week, I am going to bicycle the Natchez Trace Parkway as a fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina.  I will be doing this 450-mile ride from Nashville, Tennessee, to Natchez, Mississippi, in seven days, from September 26 - October 2.

What makes this fundraiser special?

 100% of all money raised will go to LONG-TERM recovery work of the American Friends Service Committee.
 You can keep up with my ride via daily emails and, at the conclusion of the ride, through  my photos.  I will also invite you to a presentation when I return.
  One of the ways our lifestyles have been affected by Katrina has been the skyrocketing gasoline prices. My bicycle trip is symbolic of this shift demanded of Americans as a result of Katrina.

How can you help?

 Go to my website <http://www.friendlypilgrim.com/katrina> to pledge a donation per mile I ride.  All of the details on how to donate are on the website.
	5 cents per mile = $22.50
	10 cents per mile = $45.00
	25 cents per mile = $112.50, etc.
	If you would like to donate a specific amount prior to the ride, any amount is welcome!
 On the website you can also sign up to receive updates during my ride.

Where does the money go?

I am funding the ride myself, so 100% of your donations go directly to helping hurricane victims.  The AFSC is (1) sending in a team of 15 assessors to meet with victims along the Gulf Coast and (2) setting up long-term programs in two communities based on what the victims identify as their needs.  The AFSC does not tell people what they need nor does it do the work for them.  Community empowerment over the long term is the basis of the AFSC's work.  Long after the Red Cross has ceased feeding the hungry, the AFSC will still be working with the victims, helping rebuild their lives.  For specifics about the AFSC hurricane response, visit my website or <afsc.org>.

Perhaps this can provide an avenue for you to help with the long term reconstruction of people's communities and lives.  Give me a call at 404-373-8036, email me, or go to http://www.friendlypilgrim.com/katrina to join me in this fundraiser.

In the Light,
Jonah