[saymaListserv] Talking about Jesus

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 22 08:23:28 JEST 2005

Friends,

I was talking with Wendy Geiger last night about the dilemma I'm sure I share with a number of other Quakers:

Jesus is a very real and essential presence, moment by moment, in my personal life, yet I hesitate to speak about him, because I don't know how to lead people past their preconceived notions of Christianity (especially of Christianity as an ideology) to the core, experiential reality I live by.

Not by coincidence (I brought up the topic with Wendy because of my reading), the March 2005 FRIENDS JOURNAL features articles on Jesus.  Two of them, in very different ways, speak to my condition.

In "Shake before Opening" (pp.14-17), Chip Thomas writes the following:

"The Christocentric approach has been a tremendous asset to my spiritual life....  It is not unreasonable to think that others could profit from the inward Christ as I have.  I feel led to do what I can to make the way easy for these Friends.  But I fear that I will be misunderstood in the process.  I fear that the message I have been given to share will be confused with any number of Protestant views of Christianity.

"Like George Fox, my understanding of Christ is one I have come to experientially.  It stands in stark contrast to the theological representations of Jesus held by organized religions.  More importantly I am not called to share my understanding of Christ.  Rather, I feel called to remind Friends to sweep away preconceived notions before seeking.  We should lay aside both the notions of who God is and notions of who God is not.  It is true that we should plunge into the spiritual depths without carrying any words with us.  But we should not fear any words that are given us in those depths."