[saymaListserv] t r u t h o u t - Hundreds of Thousands March against the War

steve livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sun Sep 25 21:45:57 JEST 2005

Thanks Free and Bert, thanks for being there, for all of us. My thoughts
were with you, and our community paused to hold you in the Light at
worship this morning. Friends Susan O and Lena F, and her mom Bena S, an
occasional attender, were there from Asheville. My sister Susan, who has
supported my anti-war efforts through the years, was one of many
Americans who participated for the first time. In the past year, she has
gone from being essentially politically unaware to become a
well-informed Department of Peace activist.

I read that the anti-Peace organizers were "hoping" for 20,000 at their
"Support the Troops [not enough have died yet] Rally", but drew only
"hundreds". That certainly bodes well for the future.

For those who follow the Iraq War closely, you know that Middle East
expert Juan Cole has long stood staunchly opposed to immediate
withdrawal of the Occupying Forces. Today, he changed his mind. If you
are not familiar with him, it's still a very worthwhile read. If you are
a Professor Cole fan, as I am, this is a watershed event. Check him out
at juancole dot com.

Steve