[saymaListserv] War Tax Resistance

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Tue Apr 4 11:08:19 JEST 2006

Thanks for your witness, Perry. Each of us "finances their swords as
long as we can", to paraphrase the advice given to William Penn. It's
hard to undo the amount of damage wreaked in our names and with our tax
dollars. I feel certain your donations to the women's shelters has been
of far greater benefit than the same money would have been had it been
paid as income tax.

For a number of years, I practiced income tax evasion, more out of
irresponsibility than conviction. Once I finally set aside my reckless
ways, I learned that because I am self-employed and my income is far
below the official "poverty level", my tax liability is zero -- in fact
the Treasury pays ME for being so poor! Hence I was confused by your
reference to having reduced your own income below the taxable level, at
the same time as you asserted that you donate a portion of your
estimated personal income tax. It would seem that a portion of nothing
would be nothing. Please explain.

Steve