[saymaListserv] One Word?

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Thu Apr 6 21:15:38 JEST 2006

Dear Friends,

I feel that I must say this.

Today the Commander in Chief spoke at Central Piedmont Community College
in Charlotte, NC. During the course of the question and answer session,
he was asked whether there were any decisions he regretted. Part of his
reply was:

"Obviously, one classic case that hurt us that I wish were done
differently was Abu Ghraib, the prison. What took place there and the
pictures there just represented everything we didn't stand for. And it
hurt us. It hurt us in the international arena, particularly in the
Muslim world, where they said, look -- it gave the enemy a fantastic
opportunity to use it for propaganda reasons. Look at the United States
of America. Look what they're doing to these people. They're disgracing
-- they don't believe in the dignity of each person, and, in fact, we do."

Please bear with me, I want to parse this just a little bit. If "we"
believe in the dignity of each person, then why did the Administration
consult with the Attorney General as to how far they could go in
humiliating, debasing, threatening, or even causing bodily harm, before
a charge of torture could not be defended? Why did the Administration
accept a ruling that stated "anything short of the pain of organ failure
or loss of a limb"? Because "we" believe in the dignity of each person?

Look at the beginning of the quote. Why was Abu Ghraib so regrettable?
Is it because of the harm that was done to the victims? Look at the
quote: who are the victims according to Mr.Bush?

* one classic case that hurt us
* just represented everything we didn't stand for
* And it hurt us. It hurt us
*- it gave the enemy a fantastic opportunity

It gave the enemy a fantastic opportunity. Look at the quote again. Does
he say ONE WORD about the victims of torture that was inflicted by
American soldiers under the auspices of the military command and with
the legal consent solicited and obtained? ONE WORD?

Steve