[saymaListserv] QUIT

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 15:40:12 JEST 2006

Subject: Quaker Conference on Torture--Time Is Short!

Dear Friend--
I don't mean to intrude, but time is getting short.

Quakers worked for a hundred years to rid the United States of legal
slavery.

Now we are called to help rid our nation -- and the world-- of torture.

That's why the Quaker Conference on Torture will convene on June 2-4, 2006
at Guilford College in Greensboro NC. That date will be here soon.

But time is getting short. Quakers also worked for another hundred years to
advance the rights of women.

Can we muster comparable determination to end torture? Will you join us at
the conference to help get it started?

And Quakers have worked for 300+ years to end war. (We're far from being
finished.)

Yes, we've all got plenty to do. But now torture needs to be added to the
list.

And time is getting short. We've asked meetings to select Friends to attend
the conference, and bring back information and motivation to help build this
new long-term witness. Can you fill this role for your meeting? (You're also
welcome to attend on your own.)

Remember: space at the conference is limited, so we need to hear from you
very soon. Late fees now apply after 4/28; but there are still some spaces
left.

This conference is being organized by QUIT, the Quaker Initiative to End
Torture. It has been endorsed by numerous monthly and yearly meetings. Major
support has also come from the Friends World Committee for
Consultation-Section of the Americas.

More information and a registration form is at our website:

www.quit-torture-now.org

Will you join us at Guilford? There's much to do. The time is getting short.

And please pass this message on to others.

In Friendship,

John Calvi
Convenor

John Calvi