[saymaListserv] minute on torture

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Aug 10 19:05:47 JEST 2006

Friends,

The following minute was passed on it's second reading at NEYM sessions on
Wednesday 8/9/06, without committee sponsorship.  My thanks to all the
Friends who made this possible from the first draft to the wide support
during business meeting.  I'll put the minute below and attached.  This felt
very good to witness and feel deep support even amidst reluctant awareness.
Thanks, John

John Calvi
calvij at sover.net
802/387-4789
PO Box 301
Putney VT 05346 USA
www.johncalvi.com
www.quit-torture-now.org

New England Quaker Initiative to End Torture- QUIT-

Minute Approved by New England Yearly Meeting at annual sessions August 9,
2006

New England Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends finds torture
immoral, illegal, and abhorrent. Torture- in wars, in prisons, and in homes
­ steals the humanity of the tortured, the torturer, and those who have
knowledge of it.

We believe in the sanctity of life, a faith that arises from our experience
that there is that of God in everyone.  This Light helps us to see our face
in the strangeršs face.  Fear and denial cause us to forget our deep
connections with one another.  Only when we are willing to surrender to the
Light, individually and corporately, can we eliminate the roots of torture.

New England Yearly Meeting calls upon members and monthly meetings to seek
Light and act to end torture.