[saymaListserv] How patriarchy can be changed by listening to women's voices

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Aug 25 20:23:46 JEST 2006

Dear Friends,

SAYMA approved a minute on Patriachy about 10 years ago that
basically said that "women and women's values are as important as men
and men's values"   It also said the " while girls and women have
suffered more from patriarchy, we find that it has negatively
affected boys and men also."     During the 8 years I carried this
minute to SAYMA Friends, I learned more than ever, that understanding
how the "other" gender perceives the world was one of the ways to
become a more peaceful human being.   This is a continual and painful
learning process, but whatever it takes to end the longest undeclared
war (the battle of the sexes) is worth it.

Some Friends thought that this was a "nice" minute, but objected that
nothing would really change with its approval. "It won't make a
difference".   Well, we can see what's happened at SAYMA since the
minute was approved.    We were saying that women's voices need to be
given more air time and more power.   Notice that the last 3 clerks
of SAYMA's Yearly Meeting have been Women (8 years?) , even though,
before that, there had been a "tradition" of alternating genders
every two years.     What else might change if women had more power?

The article below, about Sweden, shows what has happened in a country
where the genders are almost equally represented in their
parliament.  Men's voices are still present.    Yet the approach to
the country's problems have changed.   They are also seen from the
women's point of view, not just the men's.    An example of what
might "differences" come from the kind of "power sharing" that
SAYMA's minute on patriarchy envisioned, can be seen in Marie Santa's
article about how Sweden's government changed its attitude and laws
about prostitution and in how they implemented those changes.   It is
presented for you below.

Blessings,

Free Polazzo
Anneewakee Creek Friends Worship Group