[saymaListserv] Millennium Development Goals

Elizabeth Eames roeblingelizabeth at msn.com
Wed Aug 30 16:22:40 JEST 2006

Dear Friends-
     I was a bit disappointed this year while, during my attendance at the
Baltimore Yearly Meeting, I sat in at the lunch meeting of the Friends
National Committee on Legislation. I brought to the table my concern for the
agricultural subsidies of the United States, particularly in my case
(DR/HAITI) the rice subsidies that make US subsidized rice cheaper than
local rice. I spoke of the collapse of the DOHA round of trade talks......
The gathered Friends looked at me as if I were speaking Urdu. A
representative from FCNL said that it was their intention to have a focus on
trade policies in the next few years.
    Friends might benefit from a web search under "Global Village" to
refresh their ideas on our extreme privilege.
    I ask that Friends take a minute to visit the website -
www.millenniumcampaign.org - and inform themselves and all our Young Friends
of the exciting global committment to end poverty by 2015. This is well
within our grasp.  There are wonderful organizational tools available,
wonderfully inspiriing stories, actions - small and large that Friends might
take.
    We are an educated group but I sense that we are poorly informed. We are
committed to a sense of the deep equality of all humankind.  I hope that
Friends might turn their heads and hearts and feet a bit away from the
scenes and news of war and Wage Peace by joining in this global campaign.
     Elizabeth Roebling, Santo Domingo - Asheville Friends Meeting