[saymaListserv] Earth Charter announcements

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Feb 9 17:10:27 JEST 2006

Since we endorsed the Earth Charter, I recieve periodic updates from Costa
Rica.  I pass them along for your info.....Kristi

VIEW THE FORMATTED NEWSFLASH HERE.

1. The Earth Charter +5 Report celebrates the past, looks to the future
Costa Rica, January 2006. "EC+5" – which gathered 400 people from around the
world in Amsterdam in November 2005 – will be remembered as a high point, and
a turning point. It was there that we celebrated the great work being done
around the world, inspired by the Earth Charter.  It was there that we
rededicated ourselves to making the message of the Earth Charter more and more visible
and relevant to the growing movement for a sustainable world. This meeting of
people from diverse cultures, generations, professions, religions, and
countries was marked by enthusiasm and a vitality that ensures that the Earth Charter
Initiative will continue to reach farther, and higher. This report, written by
Wendy Harcourt (editor of the journal Development) and beautifully designed
by Adriana Molina (staff designer at UPEACE), captures the entirety of the
conference with summaries, quotes, and images. Download it online at
www.earthcharter.org.

2.  Kamla Chowdhry, Earth Charter Commissioner from India, is deceased - but
her legacy lives on
India, 4 January 2006.  It is with great sadness that we report that Kamla
Chowdhry passed away. She was a great human being, a friend to many, and a
tireless Earth Charter Commissioner. In her advanced age, she traveled the world in
support of the Earth Charter and its ideals; and it appears her last such
international trip was to participate in EC+5, where she made important
contributions to the discussions about the Transition and the future of the Initiative.
 We will certainly miss her. We are planning a web-based memorial site;
please send remembrances of Kamla to info at earthcharter.org

3.  The Transition begins, with a focus on planning, designing, reorganizing,
and capacity building
Sweden and Costa Rica, January 2006.  On January 1, the Earth Charter
Initiative began the process of implementing the decision taken by the Steering
Committee to launch a "Transition to Phase 3" -- to expand and restructure the
Earth Charter Initiative. Alan AtKisson began working as the International
Transition Director out of his office in Stockholm, Sweden. He also spent several
days in Costa Rica with the Staff of the new Earth Charter Center for Education
for Sustainable Development at UPEACE ("The Earth Charter Center for ESD", for
short). He and Center Director Mirian Vilela worked on organizational and
strategic planning with the whole staff, supported also by Steering Committee
member Rick Clugston. Many things are happening all at once, from building a new
International Council to the development of new websites ... so we ask your
patience! You can follow the progress of the Transition through a new "blog" (web
log), http://earthcharter.blogs.com/transition.

4. Earth Charter Initiative to collaborate with ICLEI World Congress
Capetown, February 2006. The ICLEI World Congress happens once every three
years, and is one of the world's pre-eminent events in the field of local and
regional sustainability. ECI will be facilitating a session on educating and
mobilizing local communities for sustainability, using the Earth Charter directly
as well as other methods that are in harmony with the Charter. ICLEI - Local
Governments for Sustainability has long been an important partner and Earth
Charter Endorser; in fact, the Earth Charter has been written directly into
ICLEI's constitution. Konrad Otto-Zimmerman (Secretary-General of ICLEI) ran the
Local Communities session at EC+5, and Alan AtKisson (ECI International
Transition Director) will lead the session in Capetown. We expect our working
partnership with ICLEI to continue to grow. For information on the Congress, visit
www.iclei.org.

5.  Imperial College London to host Earth Charter seminar on "The Value of
Values"
London, March 2006.  A special small-scale, invitational seminar will be held
in London in March to address the role of global ethics in both sustainable
development policy and in business. Participants will be leaders in government,
business, and civil society in the UK; speakers will include Earth Charter
Commissioners HRH Princess Basma Bint Talal and Ruud Lubbers, as well as
Alexander Likhotal of Green Cross International, Herman Mulder of ABN AMRO Bank and
UK-based sustainability expert John Elkington, The event will be filmed, and
the results are expected to be made available in report and video form.

And More ...
6. Portugal's Ministry of Education has adopted and translated the Earth
Charter Guidebook for Teachers, and is disseminating it in the country.
7. The Earth Charter in Action book will soon be available on-line, for free
download, as well as for sale.  Watch for news at our website.
8.  The staff of the Earth Charter Center in Costa Rica will travel to
Stockholm, Sweden to attend (pro bono) an intensive training session on 12-15
February in Stockholm, offered by Alan AtKisson's consulting group. Afterward, staff
will continue Transition planning in Stockholm.
9. Nordic Earth Charter organizers will meet in Oslo on 17 February, and
Green Cross Sweden will focus its annual meeting on The Earth Charter in Action,
on 25 March in the city of Åre (which has formally endorsed the Charter).
Speaking at the event will be Oscar Motomura from the business sector (Brazil), and
Oren Lyons, the indigenous leader of the Onandaga nation (located in North
America), among others.
10. The French nonprofit Association Pour la Terre has produced three CDs
with songs and music by major international artists dedicated to the Earth
Charter Principles and the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development.  More information.   See an article from the San Francisco Chronicle
here.
11. Earth Charter Commissioner Wangari Maathai to visit Tampa on 23 March,
sponsored by Earth Charter Communities USA (ECCUSA) and the University of South
Florida Patel Center for Global Solutions.