[saymaListserv] Why the McCain Torture Ban Won't Work

John Calvi calvij at sover.net
Wed Feb 8 12:05:47 JEST 2006

Dear Free and All,

Thanks for your letter.  Good to hear from you and receive your support for
the QUIT June conference. <www.quit-torture-now.org> Not only will the
McCain law fail to end torture.  Several other domestic and international
laws are simply being ignored.  The end to torture rests in the heartland,
not Washington.  Torture has never been legal in the US.  Jennifer Harbury,
keynote speaker for the QUIT conference, has detailed the legal aspects in
her book, ³Truth, Torture, and the American Way².  A brief history of
American torture can be read and downloaded for reprinting in pamphlet #3
from Historians Against the War website-
<http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/resources/torture/

The Quaker Initiative to End Torture needs support- We need financial
donations for the June conference.  We need broad attendance from your
Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Meetings.  We need minutes of support and
news from our website to be widely shared.  Please help us to gather the
energies needed for another great historic Quaker work.
Thanks, John Calvi
Convenor, QUIT
Www.quit-torture-now.org

John Calvi